IMAGINE Discussions

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Erdas Imagine eATE processing speed

Is there any way to make the process faster by using full the hardware?

the last stage of processing is using only one core i think and needs to many time but if i could use GPU or full CPU it could be much more faster. I there any way to do that?

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Erdas Imagine eATE processing speed

GPU does not work but CPU should squeeze more or less all resources you have. I think this was bit limited by license so lower end licenses (Essentials??) are capable just one thread in eATE while Professional can consume all cores. No matter how you do eATE is fairly slow process anyway.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I use it to create DEM from Pleiades tri stereo image. At first th PC uses full CPU, one core for each process:

1. Reverse pairwise matching image 1
  2. Reverse pairwise matching image 2
  3. Reverse pairwise matching image 3
  4. Triplet matching,

after these four finish the last process is terrain merge and erdas use one core to process or ~22% of CPUs power. If i use the professional edition of Erdas will it consume all cores for one process?

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I think you have a correct setup for multiple cores (as it uses already such in first step). Then the failure is just probably a hardware performance so is data lying on a fast disks, do you have enough RAM etc. normal Imagine performance things.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I have 8 GB of Ram and usaually with four process Erdas use about ~20% of ram

Highlighted
Staff

In the merge, there is not that much processing to be done (so CPU is not intensively used). The limiting factor here is data I/O, since you have multiple large data that need to be merged into one. 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

So if i had an SSD the process would be faster?

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Exactly - hard disk performance is a key factor in Imagine usage. If CPU is not working 100% then either RAM or disk is the bottleneck and in my experience it is nearly always disk I/O that causes the trouble no matter which Imagine process is used.