IMAGINE Discussions

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Erdas - processing oblique photographs taken with amateur camera

Hello.

I have ERDAS 2016. I have taken 180 oblique photographs of one church with NIKON D3000. I want to make point cloud of it using SGM, but before that, I have problem with orientation and triangulation.

I have set interior orientation (pixel size and focal length) and I have added 20 full control and 400 tie points (I have at least 9 tie points on each picture). When I try to start triangulation process, message shows: Not enough GCPs or tie points for initial value estimation!.

Can anyone help me and say what's wrong and if ERDAS can, at all, work with that many oblique photographs and amateur camera?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Re: Erdas - processing oblique photographs taken with amateur camera

Hello,

While IMAGINE Photogrammetry is mainly designed for near nadir projects, our customers are using it for projects with oblique imagery as well.

It is challenging to trouble shoot your problem without seeing the dataset. But a general strategy is to start with a subset of the imagery by turning some offline and once you have successfully triangulated a subset of the Imagery, you can add a few images at a time to incrementally build the whole project.

If you submit a support ticket through our Support Portal and provide a small dataset we can investigate the problem and help you with triangulation.

Best Regards,

Yasemin

Highlighted
New Contributor

I encountered the same issue using near nadir images.I recreated the block file follwoing the exact same steps and managed to run the AT ....I am not sure that error was ejected in the first place...

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi tatjana

I am not sure if managed to get a solution around this. However, just confirm that your projections are correctly defiined. On our side we noticed that the the blockfile was set in a wrong projection and when ground control points were being imported the technician set the gcp coordinate system to that of the incorrect block projection  and hence the error.

Verify that your data and block file are in the correct reference system.

However, we using Nadir images in this process and not oblique images.

kind Regards

Nisbert