IMAGINE Discussions

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Graphic Cards for Stereo Visualization

My organisation is moving to Windows 10 and nvidia have discontinued support for quad buffered stereo.  What are people using instead to run the Stereoanalyst extension for ArcGIS?

Are there any AMD cards that work?  Anyone using stereomirror systems like the Planar monitors or 'flashy screen" jobs that use the 3D Vision Pro glasses?

Appreciate any help! :-)

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I'm having a lot of difficulty trying to get stereo working under Win10 on our systems here.  The two test machines are set up exactly as they were under Win7 but just don't display 3D.  One machine is a stereomirror (True3Di) and the other a "flashy screen" unit, a BenQ 2720-Z.  After installing a second video card and the old 3dVision drivers I managed to get the correct options to show under the stereo settings on the BenQ system and the glasses were syncing with the emitter but the screen wasn't flashing despite the stereo light on the monitor being on.  Runningthe stereo wizard crashed the computer and has necessitated a rebuild.

If anyone can tell me the settings and cards they use to have 3D operational in Win10 I'd be very grateful!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have two stereomirror workstations upgraded to Win 10.

The other workstation has a Planar display and Nvidia Quadro P2000 and a mirror flip card

and the other has a Pluraview display and AMD Radeon pro wx 7100 card.

The ArcGis Desktop 10.4. and Stereoanalyst run well in them.

Edit: The old Nvidia Quadro FX 3800 card didn't work in Win10.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. It would really help to know what driver versions, cables and nvidia control panel settings you've used to get those running under Win 10.

Regards

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Just advising that I have been doing more testing and in case it helps anyone, an Nvidia M2000 card with the 392.56 driver in a Lenovo P710 computer running Windows 10 works correctly with a Planar Pl2010M monitor system as well as a True 3Di SDM-240 display and also with a BenQ XL-2720-Z monitor. The former monitors work with a displayport to dual link DVI cable adaptor to the monitors but the latter requires a displayport to displayport cable.

Anyway, hope someone else finds this useful!  I have also passed it on to Hexagon Support.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Thanks for that. It's these nuggest of info that make this community so useful. J

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Dear all,

why for ERDAS IMAGINE 2020 there are only these graphic cards in the system requirements=? 

NVIDIA® Quadro® K5200, K5000, K4200, K4000, K2200, K600, K420 6

for ERDAS IMAGINE 2018 Update 2 we had:

NVIDIA® Quadro® P6000, P5000, P4000, P2000
NVIDIA® Quadro® M6000, M5000, M4000, M2000

NVIDIA® Quadro® K5200, K5000, K4200, K4000, K2200

thanks

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

That's extremely odd.  The K series, as I understand it, came before the M and P series cards.  My guess is it's an error.  We've successfully tested M and P series cards on Win 10 systems so I'd personally be confident that these series would still work. 

I understand that Nvidia's drivers hand part of the work over to the Win 10 operating system to deliverthe 3D output which is another complication. 

With Nvidia exiting the 3D arena we may be struggling to maintain these workstatins over time.  I'm not really sure of the demarcation between the Geforce gaming and Quadro Professional 3D spheres so far as what if anything Nvidia will support into the future so I suggest we all keep on their back to try and make sure we can still use 3D for our professional applications!

BTW, I came across this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units which has heaps of info on all the cards.

Anyway, give the M and P series cards a go.

:-)

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Not an error; I asked about this and the P and M series have been dropped from support for 2020.

Highlighted
Staff

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for cathcing the error and pointing it out.

All the Quadro K, M and P series are supported for Stereo visualization in ERDAS IMAGINE 2020. We will update the Release guide in the next update.

You will need to be make sure that the driver is not newer than R418. Nvidia has dropped 3D vision support for drivers released after R418 U4 (425.31) which is released on April 11 2019.

Best regards, Sam