IMAGINE Discussions

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Frequent Contributor

How to create topographic maps in erdas

Hi, 

We have very old topographic paper maps of 1:250,000 scales. I don't know how they were created, with aerial photos or what, if anyone can explain that it will be great.

But my actual question is how can ERDAS help me in producing professional topographic maps of some areas. The resourses I have is 3m DEMs and 41cm WorldView Imagery.

Thanks and Best Regards,

RSGIS

Super Contributor

Re: How to create topographic maps in erdas

Hiya. You've got all the tools you need in order to produce a good topographic map: contour line generation; classification and digitisation tools to extract features from the imagery; map composer to produce the maps. Perhaps it might be better if you ask a more specific question relating to the process. Cheers, Johnnie

Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Thanks JohnnieJ,

1. I would like to know from where to start ? I presume the first step I shall consider is generating the contour lines with elevation lables is it correct ? But,
  2. Contours generated by ERDAS are not that smooth curved as we achive by software like "surfer" is there any specific procedure or tip for this issue ?
  3. What are the neccessary components that has to be included in a Topographic map ?
  4. JohnneiJ  mentioned classification, does it means classification of landuse from Satellite Imagery ? If so,
  5. Why can't we use, only the original Satellite Imgery itself as background, instead of classification ?
  6. I can presume that, with the classified thematic classes, we can put the Legends. But my own thinking is: Topographic maps are meant only for  Topographic information (i.e elivations), why to include road layers and other land use informaiton ?
  7. Are there any international standards, issues and requirements about the contents of topographic maps ?.

Also 

Thanks and Best Regards,

RSGIS

Super Contributor

Hiya,

Regarding the countours; you can simplify/smooth the contours using those operators in Spatial Moder.

Regarding the other queries; these are more general mapping queries and Google/DuckDuckGo is your friend. I think you should define what you/your customer requries from the map and then work backwards from there in order to produce/display the requisite information.

Cheers,

Johnnie