IMAGINE Discussions

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

How to exploit High Res DEM By Overlaying High Res. Multispectral Data to Visualize the Topography

Hi,

How to visualize the Terrain Topograypy by Undrlaying Very High Resolution DEM (31cm) and Overlaying with Very High Resolution (31cm) Multispectral data in ERDAS 2019.

Beside high resolution data sets, I would like to know what is the best tools and methods in ERDAS for general purpose display of DEM and Overlaying Imagery to show the Terren Topography in 3D.

I would like both panning, zooming, Roaming and  in some cases fly through.

In Eearlier versions (Uptil ERDAS 9)  I use to use the viewer to disblay both DEM and imagery, generate 3D prespective and view form different angle.  Also long back I used virtual module of ERDAS.

In the current ERDAS version, there is seperate 3D viewer, and in 2D viewer also we have optioin "Creat 3d view from contents"

I would like to know how these tools are used to display the DEM and imagery in 3D to show the day today audiance the topographic variation and elevations.

A step by step procedure or a training manual dedicated for exploitation of  DEM in ERDAS would be very helpful.

Best Regards,

rsgis

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: How to exploit High Res DEM By Overlaying High Res. Multispectral Data to Visualize the Topograp

Hiya. IMAGINE still has the two methods you remember from v9: Image Drape which produces a static 3D view, and VirtualGIS which does all the things that you require. Image Drape is available as part of Essentials while VGIS requires the Expansion Pack add-on.

"I would like both panning, zooming, Roaming and  in some cases fly through."

- All this and more can be achieved in VGIS.

In the current ERDAS version, there is seperate 3D viewer, and in 2D viewer also we have optioin "Creat 3d view from contents"

- Create 3D view from Contents launches the 3D window (VGIS) if you have an elevation raster as the base layer. You can also launch this through Home > Add Views > Create New 3D View.

I would like to know how these tools are used to display the DEM and imagery in 3D to show the day today audiance the topographic variation and elevations.

A step by step procedure or a training manual dedicated for exploitation of  DEM in ERDAS would be very helpful.

There's loads of documentation explaing the functions and a workflow available online here http://bit.ly/2psozvQ and also through the Help tab.

Cheers,

Johnnie

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: How to exploit High Res DEM By Overlaying High Res. Multispectral Data to Visualize the Topograp

Hi JohnnieJ,

Thanks, It was quick. I tried your suggested tools, but the ERDAS is Crashing, in both ways, from 2D and 3D viewer.

I am using very High End Computer:

HP Z8 G4 Workstation, 256 GB RAM, Processor INtel Xeon Gold 6136 CPU 2 GHz 2.99 GHz (2 processors), 64-Bit OS, , 12TB x 4 Hard Disks, RAM, NVIDIA Quadro P6000 Graphic Adapter with 155497MB RAM, Duel Display HP Z27xG2.

ERDAS IMAGINE 2018

Data Sets I am using is:

12m DEM , area 32km x 32 km, Size 210 MB 

Overlaying Image: World View3, Res. 50cm, area 90km x 90 km, 5GB Size

However Image is not projected, it is in Geographic, Dataum WGS 84 where as DEM is projected to UTM, WGS 84.

I am not sure If I have to post the crashing issue in a seperate thread or same thread will be continnued by support.

Best Regards,

rsgis

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Hey. If it's continually crashing I'd contact support directly. However, make sure you've read and implimented the performance enhancements suggested in the documentation. Also, I think I've found an ecw works better as imagery if you've a big file, so try converting the imagery to that. Having it in the same projection as the DEM as well won't hurt. J

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Hi rsgis,

If you have followed Johnnie’s advice but are still experiencing a problem opening your data please open a support ticket so that we can investigate the issue. ERDAS IMAGINE 2018 should not have any problems overlaying an image projected to Geographic Lat/Lon on top of a DEM projected to UTM as it will reproject the data on-the-fly when you open it in a 2D or 3D View.

Regards,

Stephen Bent

Hexagon Geospatial Support