IMAGINE Discussions

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor

Importing landsat 7 ETM plus into ERDAS using Import Manager

Dear Colleagues,

I have watched this video with the link by Geosterlings below over 10 times but cant see to get desired results  ( which is extracted bands).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLsTkSBFYdw&t=103s

I do not know why i ma getting these error messages irrespective of the options I take

1.  i input the .tar.gz zipped file which the import manager accepts and then click ok

I do not attempt to specify my output folder but accept what the import manager highlights in putput folder. A dialog box opens and I deselect the files and bands i do not want . I only allow / accept the MULTISPECTRAL bands 1- 7 and associated gap Mask

then i run the model. It gives me the error message below

Option 2. 

I try specifying my output file but still get an error message and sometimes dont even locate where the extracted fiels are placed

Please can someoen help out?

I am particular about importing and extracting the bands using the import manger because of further tasks that i want to run with the images and i would like the associated information for every image file meta data to available with a click away

Thank you

kansy

Johnnie Shannon from Sterling Geo shows you how to easily import high resolution Landsat data into ERDAS IMAGINE in just a few clicks! Easily view all of the layers contained within the .tar.gz file. Landsat images can be downloaded from: http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/ www.sterlinggeo.com
Regular Contributor

Re: Importing landsat 7 ETM plus into ERDAS using Import Manager

Hiya. It may be a couple of things. Firstly, try changing your temporary file directory in your preferences. Your current temp file location looks a bit suspect; it's always best if it's on a local disk in a simple structure, e.g. c:\temp\erdas_tmp. Also, do make sure you specify your output file / folder, otherwise as you have found, you don't know where they are going to go.

Secondly, USGS have recently changed the file conventions for Landsat data so that not all Landsat data can be stacked using this import dialogue. You might have better luck using a model we created that you can find here: 

http://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/Spatial-Recipes/Landsat-Stacking-from-tar-gz-archives/ta-p...

Cheers,

Johnnie

Contributor

Dear Johnnie

Many thanks

I have dealt with the issue of the neew naming convention by USGS and that is why i was even able to import it.

I think its more of the temp storage stuff. This is whehre im getting confused.

I will place in a moment screen shots of steps taken until the error message

what can i do about the temp storage?

I tried specifying the output folder manually by myself

Contributor

Dear johnnie,

Here is one of the files i ma trying to import

I have successfully renamed it

so the import manager accepts it

Please you can give it a try from your end and lets see if it extracts the files successfully

Kansy

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Hiya. I'm afraid I don't have the time to test stuff for you, but here's where to change your temp directory. J

2017-09-26 14_12_16-Preference Editor.png

Contributor

Oh Johnnie, this looks very helpful and thanks so much.

Contributor

Please hang in there dear Johnnie, let  me try it out from here please .

and which location would you recommend would be better to have the temp files placed?

Thanks

Contributor

dear Johnnie, I think my temp directory is already on the local disk

here is a screen shot of what i have encountered

Thanks

Regular Contributor

OK, but like I say; keep it simple. Change it to c:\temp and see what happens. J

Technical Evangelist

...and make sure you have a C:\temp (and permissions to write there).

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial