IMAGINE Discussions

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Issue with color encoding point cloud LAS file

I have downloaded point cloud data from the Environment Ageny's open data set. It was originally multiple files in LAZ format, I then merged them and saved as LAS, then attempted to color encode with a RGBN image (also downloaded from Environment Agency). When I click run the proccess list comes up and reaches 100%, however it turns red in color (rather than green). When I try to open the output file it says "unable to create point cloud layer. Cloud has no points and an invalid extent". Not sure where I am going wrong here.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Issue with color encoding point cloud LAS file

Projectios most likely.

Make sure that raster images and LAS has exactly same projection and they overlap well (raster bigger than LAS). If it still keeps failing make sure that raster format is Imagine own .img

Also it easies life if raster and LAS is just single files rather than virtual mosaic or some other collecton of files.

timo

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

You were spot on! I just needed to define a projection for the point cloud data. Thanks for your help Timo!

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Been there done that Smiley Happy

I started testing this tool just when it came and it had in the start some of those clumsiness you now see. After playing a while I fiugured out the logics and as I have been aware of those I have not faced those at all in last year or two. Another issue that caused troubles like this too was if the datasets were not totally overlapping. So if image with colors did not totally cover the LAS that eneded up in weird results.

I guess Hexagon has improved the tool over the years so it might be bit more flexible now but at least in your case projection still caused issues.

Good that I was able to help