IMAGINE Discussions

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Open .bil format data in erdas imagine

[ Edited ]

Hi, 

Does anyone have viewed raster data in .bil format with .hdr support file in erdas? I've opened up the data in erdas but failed to display as image below. I've tried open it using ArcGIS and Global Mapper and the data can be viewed. 

Appreciate if anyone can help me to fix  the problem in viewing raster .bil format with .hdr support file using erdas imagine. Thank you

bil format error.JPG

Regards,

Syafiqah

Highlighted
Staff

Re: Open .bil format data in erdas imagine

Hi Syafiqah,

You can import the data by using the Generic Binary importer (and specifying 3001 rows x 3001 columns and IEEE 32-bit Float)

Regards

Tack Ching

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi TCchan,

Thanks for your suggestion. I've tried and thanks to u the data now can be viewed.

So, is this mean that .bil data format cannot directly view in erdas? and need to import  first?

Regards, 

Syafiqah

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Hi Syafiqah,

It depends on the exact BIL format. There are several "BIL/HDR" formats, such as esri, SpaceImaging, ENVI, AISA and ERDAS Generic Binary, which can be directly opened in ERDAS IMAGINE without importing. 

But there's no end to the variants of generic binary data with a .hdr header that people come up with. Those may have to be imported using the Generic Binary importer.

If the variant you have is a standardised, "named" format with a format specification document available you should probably log an Idea to request it be added as a direct read in a future release.

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi ian,

Thanks for your explanation. Smiley Happy

Regards,

Syafiqah

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

I posted a Saptial Recipe which may help you out:

https://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/Spatial-Modeler-Tutorials/Import-BIL32-elevation-data-BIL...

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial