IMAGINE Discussions

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Contributor
Accepted Solution

SENTINEL-1 Resolution

Dear Sir, 

As I learnt Sentinel-1, IW product has a resolution between 2.7x33m to 3.5x22m, but when I open the image in ERDAS Imagine and check the meta data it shows that the pixel resolution as 10x10m, can I know the reason for this difference ?

Thanks,
RSGIS
Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Re: SENTINEL-1 Resolution

The data in your screenshot is the Sentinel-1 Level-1 ground range detected (GRD) interferometric wide swath (IW) product which has pixel spacing of 10x10 meters. Sentinel-1 Level-1 single look complex (SLC) interferometric wide swath (IW) products have a smaller pixel spacing of 2.3x14.1 meters.

Sentinel-1 Level-1 Ground Range Detected resolutions

Sentinel-1 Level-1 Single Look Complex resolutions

Kind regards,

Stephen Bent

Hexagon Geospatial Support

Highlighted
Contributor

Hi bent,

Thanks for your reply.  But what is the difference between Resolution (rg x az) and Pixel Spacing (rg x az).

Sensor_MODEResolution_DecriptionResolution Pixel spacing Number of looks
  rg x azrg x az 
SM (Strip Map)Full Resolution9x9 m3.5x3.5 m2x2

Thanks,

RSGIS

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

It's mentioned on this page

https://sentinel.esa.int/web/sentinel/user-guides/sentinel-1-sar/resolutions/level-1-single-look-com...

"Note that spatial resolution is a measure of the system's ability to distinguish between adjacent targets while pixel spacing is the distance between adjacent pixels in an image, measured in metres."

I.e. the data as delivered is resampled to a common pixel size, which is semi-independent of the resolving capacity of the sensor. 

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial