IMAGINE Discussions

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Stereo Analyst Model Outputs

Hi,

I've created a number of 3D building models in Stereo Analyst - but when I try to export them from the 3D view the only formats I can find are MultiGen OpenFlight and VRML 2 - VRML a bit old now and neither type can be imported in Google Earth - is there anyway to save as kml or kmz from ERDAS?

Thanks,

Conor

Contributor

Re: Stereo Analyst Model Outputs

Hi- any suggestions to my post from April? I see ERDASIMagine has a 'export 3D shapefile' option in the StereoAnalyst menu,but it does notrecognise the Stereo Analyst formats either, so not sure if there is a way to get these out,say as a KML?

Technical Evangelist

[ Edited ]

Hello,

1- After digitizing building features, go to SAfI "Features" Menu and Select "Export Features..". In Export Features dialogue box, after selecting the directory, select "3D ShapeFile" format in "Shape Export Options".

CaptureSAfI1.JPG

2- Go to IMAGINE Toolbox Tab and under Stereo Anayst drop down list select "Export 3D Shape File to KML".

CaptureSAfI2.jpg

3- Input the shape file exported from SAfI and generate KML file.

CaptureSAfI3.JPG

Best Regards,

Yasemin

Contributor

Ah - brilliant, thank you Yasemin.

I was exporting via right click on the 3D model screen and was not aware of these other options. I can now successfully export the 3D object as a KML, but when i try and load it in Google Earth if

(i) i pick relative to ground (only 2kb) ,it is so small as to be invisible (or possibly very far below the GE datum)  

(ii) i pick absolute it is floating hundreds of metres above the ground (13kb)

The building shows up in the correct XY position,it is just the Z value that seems to be wrong. What am i doing wrong?

Technical Evangelist

Hi,

Have you tested with another dataset?  I have just tested with Altdorf dataset (Extensions Example Data) and with LA dataset I didn't see this problem. But yes, with western blockfile I have noticed the same issue. Please test with production data and if you see a problem please submit a ticket through our support portal.

Capture.JPG

Best Regards,

Yasemin

Contributor

Thanks for the help Yasemin - I will try this.