IMAGINE Discussions

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Unable to project Sentinel 1 Radar image to EPSG 28992

Hi!

I'm trying to reproject a Sentinel 1A GRDH Radar image to the Dutch coordinate system with EPSG code 28992 (RD New, Datum Amersfoort) because the area of interest comprises a part of the Netherlands. However, I'm getting quite some error messages (see below).

Can you help me?

Thanks!

Hester

Anonymous

Re: Unable to project Sentinel 1 Radar image to EPSG 28992

Hello Hester,

Please contact your technical support team regarding this problem.  If you are not sure who that is message me and I will find out for you. This looks like a problem that needs to be investigated. 

Thank you

Cheryl 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Cheryl, 

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked this issue with my technical support team prior to reaching out to this community, however they didn't know how to solve this. 

We think it is a problem with how the GRD data is corrected for terrain heights, which probably is based on a more general datum, which in this case is not very applicable to the practically flat Dutch surface.

The problem I thus see is that the GRD data shows a huge shift, compared to the vector data, which is used by Dutch organizations.

Is it than best to use SLC data instead? And are there any radiometric corrections to be done on this SLC data which I should know off?

Thank you in advance!

Hester

Anonymous

Hello Hesterbijen,

Without seeing the actual data, and the problem I cannot tell you this information.  You should not however be seeing a significant shift with GRD data unless the projections performed on one of the two data sets is inaccurate.  You have not said what version you are using.  I do know that for version 2013 and earlier there was a problem with EPSG 28992 for vector files.  This was corrected in version 2014. You could certainly try just the SLC data.  There is a community post regarding this data that may be of some help: http://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/Support-ERDAS-IMAGINE/Importing-Sentinel-1-data/m-p/6016/h...

Regarding radiometric corrections, I do not know of any specific corrections you should make.  Again it would be determined by the data itself.   We do have an article our HexGeo Wiki that might help.  

https://wiki.hexagongeospatial.com/index.php?title=Radiometric_Enhancement

I encourage you to contact your Hexagon Geospatial support team again if you suspect that there may be an error in the software or with your data regarding the projection.  I checked our records and could not find anything matching this problem. However it could have come in with a different description.  We would need to receive a request for help from your regional support team along with your data to investigate further.