IMAGINE Discussions

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Virtual GIS Viewer: export pixel data (lat/lon/height) to text file

Hi,

I am using Erdas Imagine 8.7. My question is related to VirtualGIS: I have loaded DEM + satellite image + shape file, and placed an observer at a 3D point. VirtualGIS renders the scene, and when I move the cursor over each pixel I can see its latitude, longitude and elevation on the status bar. What I am trying to do is to export the latitude, longitude and elevation of every pixel into a text-file (e.g., .txt, .dat, etc) onto the local disk (e.g., C:\etc). May I know if Erdas Imagine 8.7 is able to do this? If not possible, can a newer release of Erdas Imagine do this?

Thank you & Regards
Sien Wei

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Re: Virtual GIS Viewer: export pixel data (lat/lon/height) to text file

Hello Sien Wei,

If you want to export the latitude, longitude and elevation from the DEM file, 'Convert Pixels to ASCII…' writes X,Y,Z to a fixed text format. I think you find the program from Utilities menu > Convert Pixels to ASCII… in that version of IMAGINE. I don’t know of a program that writes X,Y,Z values from the VGIS Viewer display into a text file. I believe this holds true for the current version of IMAGINE.

Convert Pixels to ASCII…

mapXYZ.PNG

Regards

Jeff

Hexagon Geospatial

Technical Evangelist

Re: Virtual GIS Viewer: export pixel data (lat/lon/height) to text file

Hello Sien Wei,

You can use the Pixel To Table tool to create an ASCII file that lists the X, Y, Z values (latitude, longitude, elevation) of your DEM in a tabular format. The Pixel To Table tool is accessed in ERDAS IMAGINE 8.7 by selecting Convert Pixels to ASCII from the Utilities menu.

1. Select your DEM for the Input File and click the Add button so that it is added to the Files to export list.
  2. Enter a name for the Output File.
  3. Use the default settings and click OK to create the ASCII file.

pixel_to_table.png

The output ASCII file will look like this:

pixel_to_table_output.png

Regards,

Stephen Bent

Hexagon Geospatial Support