IMAGINE Discussions

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Why ERDAS IMAGINE (2016) and Signature Editor..."has stopped working" to perform some tasks?

I have used ERDAS IMAGINE (2016) for the las month. However, when I use different tasks, it is getting problem by being busy and ending by a message "ERDAS IMAGINE has stopped working. For example, when I open some images (not all) the problem occurs. Signature Editer also getting the same type of problme "Signature Editor has stopped working" when I try to add some aoi samples (not always). The version currently I am using is ERDAS IMAGINE 2016 (64 bit downloaded but task manager showed as ERDAS IMAGINE 32 bit) and the data type I am using is unsigned 16 bit (WV-02). This problem has blocked my project progress. How can I solve it? Thanks so much!

Signature editor has stopped working.PNGSignature editor has stopped working 2.PNG

Regards,

Biruk

Technical Evangelist

Re: Why ERDAS IMAGINE (2016) and Signature Editor..."has stopped working" to perform some

Hi Biruk,

Your Signature Editor issue sounds to be the same as the one discussed here?:

https://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/Support-ERDAS-IMAGINE/How-to-address-quot-Signature-Edito...

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial
Occasional Contributor

Re: Why ERDAS IMAGINE (2016) and Signature Editor..."has stopped working" to perform some

Dear @ian.anderson

I have got he above link (discussion) important except a little difference to my case. In the discussion, the problem appeared when trying to merge 2 or more signatures while in my case the problem has appeared just to add the first aoi sample to the editor (this is common for low quality or visiblity of images). In addition to this, the software, Erdas Imagine (2016), by itself has getting the same problem to perform some tasks like opening some images... Thank you so much!

Regards,

Biruk

Technical Evangelist

Hi Biruk,

That doesn't sound familiar. If ti was something that had been reported through a Support Ticket in the past I probably would have seen it. PErhaps someone else in the Community has encountered something similar and can give you some pointers.

It will probably help others recognise your symptoms if you narrow down the circumstances:

What environment are you working in, especially if its something out of the ordinary? For example, might you still be using Windows 8, or running in a virtual box?

What are the characteristics of the images which do not load (and does ERDAS IMAGINE consistently fail with those images, or is it random)? What format are they (TIFf, PNG, JP2, etc)? How many bands? Bit depth? Thematic or athematic? How many rows and columns? Are they compressed and if so what compression algorithm was used? Etc. Again - anyhting out of the ordinary about the images?

If the occurrences are "random", what were you doing prior to opening the image?

Does the Session Log have any additional information?

This type of informaiotn will help people potentially diagnose the issues.

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Hexagon Geospatial
Occasional Contributor

I am working with windows 10 (64 bit platform) and the software, Erdas Imagine, is 2016 version (32 bit, observed from task manager).
The problem (Erdas Imagine is not responding) appear while it is loading to open an image. This is not for all images.
The charactersitics of image which was affected by this problem is: TIFF format (pansharpended output as "*.img"), unsigned 16 bit, 8 bands (WV-02), 6286 rows and 5652 columns and not sure whether Thematic or athematic but passed throug the process of (all bands imported using TIL/Orthorectified using existing model)/Subset using aoi layer/pansharpened using HCS technique/data recoded as (nodata = 65535). Somethimes this image will be opended and sometimes not in Erdas Imagine, however, it is impossibe to add aoi sample to signature editor (Not responding/"signatue editor has stopped working"). However, image passed through the same steps except subsetting will always be opended with Erdas Imagine and signature editor won't get any problem when adding aoi sample. Previously, I have got "character 4 is not legal" and then "character 229 is not legal" report when I restart Erdas Imagine. I hope this information will help you to give me suggestion. If any, please ask me. Thanks so much!

Regards,

Biruk

Technical Evangelist

Hi Biruk,

I still cant relicate the issue. Are you using a Locale settign for Windows? Perhaps the filenames are using an extended character set?

If no-one else on the Community has any ideas why this isn;t workiing for you, you may wish to contact the support group of your local ERDAS IMAGINE vendor.

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Hexagon Geospatial
Occasional Contributor

Hi @ian.anderson

Signature editor is working now after I changed the image. The privious errors were occured when I used the previous image outputs. But it is working now for all image outps from the new one. The probem was from the image it self.

Thanks!