Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

ImageStation

Discuss topics about Imagestation, which powers high volume photogrammetry and production mapping workflows.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Imagestation 2018 Photogrammetric Manager tutorial

I can't seem to find any videos for the Photogrammetric Manager in the training portal. Specifically help with Bulk Orientation. I thought I was OK and had a complete setup but Imagestation 2018 has small differences from the ancient version we used to run and I seem to be missing something that's not including all of my control in the model when I go to do a Depth Index. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Staff

Re: Imagestation 2018 Photogrammetric Manager tutorial

[ Edited ]

The Depth Index command only includes measured control in the model so the point status may have something other than measured. You could look in Footprint Viewer for that control point and see if it is red or blue unmeasured status. Make sure also the Absotute Orientation is checked in Bulk Orientation and Select Models button is done so it is not just photos selected.

Clarifying my answer here; this was assuming ISAT was available in-house for processing the adjustment with Enable Precision Computation applied in the Photo Triangulation Options form for this project. 

Technical Evangelist

ISPM is actually covered in the Project Creation Using ISAT video, but that just covers project creation and does not include Bulk Orient.

In addition to the Orientations Help > Orientations Commands > Bulk Orient topic, there is additional information in the Orientations Help > Appendix E: Photo Triangulation (PhotoT) In Depth > Bulk Orient topic that may help.

Occasional Contributor

That seems to be the case. I have my field control in but it looks like my pass points between models I picked in orientation are not available in the model for Depth Indexing. They weren't generated into to the control file either but they are sitting there picked in red in absolute orientation. Does only field control appear in this version of Photogrammetric Manager (our old version called it Digital Mensuration)? That's fine as long as I can trust the setup. I have just two control points on one of my models and in the olds days that wouldn't cut it. But if all the math is behind the scenes now that's fine with me.

Staff

When you complete your final bundle adjustment you should then run the Densify command to add your pass points' object space values to the Control file. Then run Bulk Orientations with RO and AO enabled. This will cause your pass points to also appear in your models when you run the Depth Index command.

HTH,

Eric

Occasional Contributor

I have no Photo Triangulation sub menu at all (which should then contain the densify command according to the help explanation) within the Orientations tab in the manager. Interior, Absolute, Resection, and Bulk Orient are the only options available. I don't see any instance of Densify anywhere in fact. Is there another way to run it?

Staff

Ah, I missed the fact that you are using ISPM. You need ISAT to access the bundle adjustment and densify commands. I hope you have a license for that?

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately not. I found out that we aren't licensed for ISAT when I tried to generate contours with DTM. I have a workaround for that, is there a workaround for this? Or is ISAT mandatory? Generating control across multiple models (used to be called analytics back in the day) wasn't an issue with good old Imagestation 2004.

Staff

You have me confused. ISAT superceded ImageStation Digital Mensuration (ISDM) years ago, and is the product that contains the bundle adjustment commands, it has nothing to do with DTM generation. But to answer your question, no, I have no workaround for you. You need a bundle adjustment program of some sort to produce object space coordinates for your pass points so that they can be added to the control file. After that, then Bulk Orient could be run, which in turn would cause ISSD to pick them up for the Depth Indexing command.

HTH,
Eric

Occasional Contributor

We have found a way around ISAT. The good news is the nuts and bolts of the mapping end of the software is basically the same as it was 15 years ago. We are able to set a project up using our old software and drag the generated support files over to the new work station. It's not an elegant solution but it beats spending tens of thousands of dollars just to be able to generate control. Thanks for the help!

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.