M.App Enterprise Discussions

Discuss topics with other M.App Enterprise Product pioneers and experts to get the most out of it.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Set active layer in desktop app

Hi everybody,

is it wanted that only one layer can be set active in desktop application?

I'd like to understand why?

If I could set more layers active I also could consume more tooltips for example.

Thanks in advance

Stefan

GAUSS Ingenieurtechnik GmbH | Germany
Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Re: Set active layer in desktop app

It is true that a single layer is able to be active in Desktop M.App currently.

It is also true that this limits tooltips being available for non active layers. In this way I suggest adding this idea to the Product Ideation page for additional comments/consideration.

Highlighted
Staff

it WAD: the active layer is used to select properties from the database and issue queries to that layer only. 

with the selection tools you can select features from active layer (if any) or you get the list of layers you would like to select from (then this layer becomes active). Starting from the selection you may run an associated predefined query to get attribute values. 

Stefano Turcato
Presale Engineer
Hexagon Geospatial
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Stephen, Stefano,

thank you both for your replies!

To go a little further:

We are planning to roll out desktop client as standard webclient to our customers, so we are investigating which method fits best to get information about objects in the map.

As far as I see I have follwing options:

1. Use a tooltip: advantage is that it is very easy to create and to handle with, disadvantage is that it is only possible for a single layer at a time and a fast exploring of map data is not given.
  2. use a workflow to get information: Here I can select multiple objects, start my workflow for e.g. getting a table and I have all the results in a smart window. advantage: enormous potential to customize - disadvantage: same as 1.: I can only explore a single dataset at a time. It seems like same is possible with queries

Is it possible, to use sth. like an "advanced tooltip" in MAE? I think there is similar function in German "Kommunal" extension for GMSC.

There I am able to start with the selection tools and get a predefined info about every locatable object in a separate area/window embedded in the app - independant if they are all on the same layer or not.

Supplement:

If I understood you right, Stefano - I am able to select features from an active layer and run a predefined query - do you mean a workflow? I f you are talbing about a simple rich client sql query, must this query have a special placeholder which considers the selection?

Thanks in advance!

Stefan

GAUSS Ingenieurtechnik GmbH | Germany
Highlighted
Staff

Hi Stefan,

you can propose the "extended tooltip" like tool in the Product Ideation board, so we can understand how common is a requirement like this.

About the queries I meant SQL queries configured in Studio. Please have a look at the training material here:

https://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/M-App-Enterprise-Tutorials/Trainings-Materials-for-M-App-...

in particular Exercise 5, task 2.

ciao,

Stefano

Stefano Turcato
Presale Engineer
Hexagon Geospatial