M.App Enterprise Discussions

Discuss topics with other M.App Enterprise Product pioneers and experts to get the most out of it.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

When and how to use VECTOR SETS?

VECTOR SETS use cases are not clear enough for me.

According to the official documentation , VS should be used "...area of use would be to group together your background vector data (like borders, streets, rivers …)...".

Having said that, it is not clear to what measure extend this practice: if I have data that don't get changed often, can I put all of it as a vector set?; when should I decide to separate one layer of the other when assigning it to a vector set?; when would it be a bad idea to assign a layer into a vector set.

It would be very much helpful if a more elaborated documentation can be published addressing those questions and maybe some use cases to make things a little bit clearer.

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Re: When and how to use VECTOR SETS?

Hi erangr,

The vectorsets are useful as background data after being published and thus it would make sense to create them out of vector data that doesn't change much.

The documentation outlines some of that further up from where you took your quote. The benefits of that are dramatic reduction of tile requests ,cache size and organized zoom levels improving geometric simplification of features.

The major usage after background data is that Vector Sets are traditionally the source of input data for use in Analyzer Views. Analyzer Views have expanded input data sources in recent versions, but Vector Sets remain the avenue to access the M.App Enterprise Vector Data (as published Vectorset) in Analyzer Views.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi sclow,

Thank you for your comment.

As far as I understand there are 3 publish types of vector: non-cached (live); cached; cached inside vector set. If my underlining data doesn't change much, what might be the reason to choose cached publication over vector set one? In other words: what might be the the use cases for cached publication and what are for vector sets?

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Hi erangr,

To answer your questions:

You might choose cached publication over a vector set if you are creating a Desktop M.App

You would choose vector set publish over a cached publication if you were using Analyzer Views with Browser M.App.

Thanks

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Simplified table

Desktop App Vector live or vector cached
BI Map or just a simple map viewer Vector live or vector cached
Feature Analyzer Vector set only
Jan Neumann
Post Sales Engineer Web Applications
Hexagon Geospatial