Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

M.App Enterprise

Discuss topics with other M.App Enterprise Product pioneers and experts to get the most out of it.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor

Geometry Type Error

Hi there,

I have just encountered an error while saving a geometry in M.App Enterprise. The reason this occured is because I attempted to add an arc to an existing polygon. When I create, move, delete existing vertices I can save the polygon without any issues. A screenshot of the polygon before I made the edit, and then my attempt to add the arc, is attached to this post. It is my understanding that M.App Enterprise could not submit this geometry because it couldn't make out its geometry type. Is this true? And if so, is this something that will be fixed in later versions of M.App Enterprise? 

Also, it's worth mentioning that I was able to submit this type of geometry in GeoMedia without any errors. This is why I believe the error lies with M.App Enterprise.

Kind Regards,

Ryan

Staff

Re: Geometry Type Error

Hi Ryan,

can you please specify what is the database you are using and what geometry type is set for the feature?

Thanks,

Stefano

Stefano Turcato
Presale Engineer
Hexagon Geospatial
Contributor

Hi Stefano,

The database I am using is SQL Server. I set up a SQL Server Profiler on the table that stores this features geometry and then re-created the error. Looking at the Profiler, an insert is made to the log stating that an error had occured after the update to the table is attempted. The error that is thrown is a .NET framework error (Screenshot 1). The Profiler logged the complete update command that it attempted to submit to the database, so I manually executed this in SQL Server and the resulting error message is clearer (Screenshot 2). 

Regards,

Ryan

Occasional Contributor

Hi there Ryan

We have the same issues with arcs or curved polygons. We are using SQL and PostgreSQL databases. I hope a solution for this can be found soon.

In our case, none of our users will create arcs. But it is very easy to accidently create them, by clicking and dragging a node. Especially if the users are not GIS or that computer litterate. I understand the need for arc generation depending on the application generated, but I hope that there is a way to "disable" this feature in the Studio or maybe on the database side, when there is no need for arc generation. 

In our case this issue is critical, as it causes workflows to break (like when one tries to merge 2 polygons, where one has an arc), as well as data integrity issues on the database.

Hope to hear from Hexagon soon

Adriaan

Staff

Hi guys,

please check this tutorial:

https://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/M-App-Enterprise-Tutorials/Changes-to-the-EDIT-ACTIONS-in...

We do have different actions now if you need to create arcs. If your database configuration does not support arcs just use NewPolygon instead of NewSurface for instance.

HTH,

Stefano

Stefano Turcato
Presale Engineer
Hexagon Geospatial
Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Development Ticket through our Development Ticket Portal.