Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

M.App Enterprise

Discuss topics with other M.App Enterprise Product pioneers and experts to get the most out of it.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Google Maps in Feature Analyzer

Can we add Google Maps (with an API key) into Feature Analyzer as a backdrop layer? If so, how? Thanks

Frequent Contributor

Re: Google Maps in Feature Analyzer

An API key isn't required to use the Google Maps Tile Server and the URL is publicly known eg. http://mt.google.com/vt/lyrs=m&x={x}&y={y}&z={z}

Where 'lyrs = '

• h = roads only
  • m = standard roadmap
  • p = terrain
  • r = somehow altered roadmap
  • s = satellite only
  • t = terrain only
  • y = hybrid

It can be added via Custom Tile service. 

Frequent Contributor

Important thing to notice that direct access to google maps tile servers is forbidden by the Terms Of Service, so, while it may be possible ( the acces to the tiles server should be closed or restricted by now) it is no legal to do it. At the same time, consider that due to recent changes in Google Maps TOS, all request should have a valid Api Key, otherwise the map will show a watermark announcing that such implementation is for development purposes only.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi rgoodman,

Did you manage to add the Google Maps via the API and with an API key?

Any feedback on your experience with google maps in general?

I just know it works just fine to answer a prospect question.

I've tried the link above with success and the static map API with our own api key with success too.

Thanks in advance,

Elodie

Frequent Contributor

Hi Elodie

I have only used it to test the fact that it can be connected to and displayed in a test system. I have not used it in a production system and I have not looked into teh Google terms and conditions, as mentioned in a previous reply.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

It is posible in deed, but direct acces to the tiles is against the TOS...

Can I access the Maps and Satellite images directly?

You may not access the maps or satellite images through any mechanism besides the Google Maps Platform (such as the creation of your own mapping API or the use of a bulk tile download script). Your application's access to the tiles will be blocked if it accesses them outside of the Google Maps Platform. See the Google Maps Platform Terms of Service for more details.

reed here: https://developers.google.com/maps/faq#tos_tiles

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Development Ticket through our Development Ticket Portal.