Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

M.App Enterprise

Discuss topics with other M.App Enterprise Product pioneers and experts to get the most out of it.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
DFT
New Contributor

Hardware specifications for 1000 mobile app users?

Hi,

I want to know the hardware requirements for mapp enterprise station that services  concurrent 1000 tablet (mobile app) users??

Note that these users need to download and upload imagery data to the database beside text data.

CPU?

RAM?

thanks in advance

Staff

Re: Hardware specifications for 1000 mobile app users?

Hello…

This topic has been discussed before and unfortunately there is no way to predict what would you need. In your particular case, it does not only depend on what services or processes are being used but how many times, what’s the size of the images, how long is and how many fields does the form you are filling have.

Sorry if I’m not able to give you more help but it is just impossible to give you a correct answer.

If you are interested in the previous discussion we´ve got you can find it here

https://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/M-App-Enterprise/M-App-Enterprise-minimum-server-requirem...

DFT
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply,

Here are Factors needed to calculate the hardware specifications as you mention in your reply,

1- The process (service) needed: Saving a form data (images and text) into the database From a mobile application.

2- Image size: 4MB * 10 images.

3- Number of text fields: range ( from 10 to 20 fields)

Number of concurrent users = 1000 user.

If there are any additional factors needed to calculate hardware specification, please ask me, all what i need clear hardware requirements for cirtain scenario process i mentioned above.

thanks 

Staff

Hi DFT, I’m sorry if I was not clear before, but that there is no way to calculate the hardware requirements before the system is in use or until you have your application and you can do some real bench marking and testing.

The factors I talked about before are just some of the things that may have an impact on the server performance but there are many more things to have in mind. The data you provided serves as a good example of why it is impossible to do this:

Let’s start by the services. You only mention “saving data” but what about putting that on a map? Will they be cached? Then, in your initial post you´ve mentioned “download and upload imagery” than means that your app must show users a list of existing sites so they can choose the pictures and there fore is not just saving but reading, distributing and possibly updating.

In your answers you say you have from 10 to 20 fields, well, there is a 100% variance between those numbers and still we don’t know how long are the strings i.e if it’s an open text field you just can’t be sure how long it is until the user actually uses the app

Then concurrent users… 1000 is a large number to be working at the same time and “concurrent” may actually mean that at any given moment you are getting 1000 row insertions on your DB or it could mean that you have 1000 users and each is using the app to gather information but you only get a few DB insertions a minute and only during labor hours

Parting from the minimum hardware requirements, pretty much all of the considerations you may need to generate a HW requirement will depend both on the finished application and the user behavior and, until you can measure those two things you cannot get an estimate.

Finally, not all servers are born equal. For example, I’ve used many cloud environments and I can tell you that Amazon, Asure and Google cloud servers, with similar (or identical) configurations, will behave quite different under same conditions. Same with physical servers, you have many  different CPU architectures, HDD speeds, network, wtc…

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Development Ticket through our Development Ticket Portal.