Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

M.App Enterprise

Discuss topics with other M.App Enterprise Product pioneers and experts to get the most out of it.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
New Contributor

M.App Enterprise minimum server requirements

None of the documents I've read contain enough minimum system/server requirements for M.App Enterprise (latest version)

All that is provided in the System Requirements Doc, which I believe to be the most up to date (2016)??

Hardware requirements

The minimum RAM requirement is 8 GB.

Disk space requirements

M.App Enterprise Server requires 760 MB available disk space for the application server. Additional disk space may be required. M.App Enterprise Server will create cache files if needed.

Production environment requirements

M.App Enterprise requires two different server types within a production environment:

 At least one application server

 One tile server (for cache creation)

What are the minimum CPU requirements for the Application Server?

What are the minimum CPU requirements for the Tile Server?

760 MB is the installation footprint for the Application server… what is the suggested minimum Disk Space for the Application Server for Cache?

What is the installation footprint for the Tile server?

What is the minimum required disk space for the Tile Server?

8GB RAM, is this the min for both Application and Tile Server?

Thank you

Regular Contributor

Re: M.App Enterprise minimum server requirements

Hi A.Sempf,

based in my own experience it is very hard to set minimum requirements for M.App Enterprise.

I tested MAE under Windows server with 4GB RAM with both application and tile server for testing and it worked fine...but: creating caches with tile server can last for a while...

Your requirments depend on

• how much jobs will be executed on your tile server?
  • will application and tile server will be installed on same server?
  • will you use feature cache or live features?
  • how many services, features, featuresets will be cached (disk space...)

M.App Enterprise works on your standard desktop pc, too.

One of my customers is testing MAE with both services on the same machine and creates new cache every night, when no one is using the apps - works fine - no second server needed.

If you use a machine with 4GB RAM for tile service - fine, creation lasts longer and you need more usage. But it works.

If you invest more on your hardware, you are faster with creating cache and save usage.

That's the concept.

Hard to say what you need without knowing what you will do Smiley Happy

GAUSS Ingenieurtechnik GmbH | Germany
New Contributor

Thanks for the response s.rutka.

Thank you. I am sure that there will be performance differences based on usage and setup (separation or not of tile server), However this is exactly what a minimim specification should cover.

If a minimum CPU speed can not be provided for a basline performance, then a perfromance test matrix should be provided for the implementor of the solution to make the best descisions on the intended use.

As per your example, I'm not surprised it will run on 4GB RAM, however this being below the minimum recomneded spec, I would assume that the performance would be sub-par. 

Par being a measurement that has been derived by perfomance testing to achieve the recomendation of 8GB.

Here are the responses I got from the M.App product team:

What are the minimum CPU requirements for the Application Server?

We recommend a multi core CPU environment (min 2 cores). But there are no minimum requirements on the CPU speed.

What are the minimum CPU requirements for the Tile Server?

We recommend a multi core CPU environment (min 2 cores). But there are no minimum requirements on the CPU speed.

760 MB is the installation footprint for the Application server… what is the suggested minimum Disk Space for the Application Server for Cache?

I can’t provide you a number as this is depending on the data the customer is planning to serve (vector  + imagery). As a rough estimate you can use the original file data size and multiply it by 4.

What is the installation footprint for the Tile server?

Footprint is minimal, but we recommend at least 10 GB of free disk space.

What is the minimum required disk space for the Tile Server?

It’s depending where the vector / raster cache is stored. In the case you are using the application server, no additional disk space is required. Otherwise please take a look on the comment around the application server.

8GB RAM, is this the min for both Application and Tile Server?

Correct

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

further to this, my questions come back to CPU again. and the core achitecture. witll M.App E run on 32bit architecture? or do I need to upgrade to 64bit?

this is not mentioned in the specification.

Again, if anyone can provide a performance matrix in lieu of an actaul definit specification, that would be very helpful.

Thank you.

AS

Technical Evangelist

[ Edited ]

Although not directly stated, 64bit operating system is required, implying a need of 64-bit CPU architecture. This is what's written in System Requirements document:

----

Software requirements
Operating system requirements
The following 64-bit operating systems fulfil the requirements for M.App Enterprise Server.

Operating system
Windows Server 2012 Standard and Datacenter
Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and Datacenter
Windows Server 2016 Standard and Datacenter
Windows 8
Windows 8.1
Windows 10
Jan Neumann
Post Sales Engineer Web Applications
Hexagon Geospatial

Staff

In addition to the good answer provided by Stefan based on real use cases, you have to consider the amount of users of the system.

In general it does not make much sense talking about minimum requirements for an enterprise system (it is not a desktop solution where you can say when it works and it will not). It depends on data, users, IT infrastructure (if it is a virtual server, the underlying hardware and dedicated resources is also important), and so on.

It makes sense if you plan to have different environments for development, testing and production. In that case development could be very basic if you are working on 1 seat. Testing can be limited if you don't have to simulate response time in production. And so forth.

There are too many variables to take into account for providing a matrix like this and most of these variables depend on customer's use case.

HTH,

Stefano

Stefano Turcato
Presale Engineer
Hexagon Geospatial
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jan.neumann Thanks for the response re 32/64 bit architecture... I clearly missed that in the spec.

@sturcato  it makes perfect sense to discuss a minimum requirement for an enterprise system. This is what we call Benchmarking, hense my request for test/performance matrix.

A benchmark is established as a point for scalability. Understanding the minimum requirement "Benchmark" for performance on the minimum uasage ie 1 seat, processing N requests over N/Time with N/Layers of vector/raster type, would give us the minimum requirement to then calculate how to scale out, based on if its 1 seat processing more requests in less time with more/less layers or more seats processing the same requests over the same time, and other combinations of.

(we only talking about production here, test and development are a different matter - however a benchamrk would also support this)

A benchamrk == minimum requirements. From this we dont need to know all the customers use cases, we can calculate what a new customer would need based on their estimated usage.

If there has been no performance testing or "benchmarking" done, please say so... However this is an argument for doing so.

Basically all I need is, when a customer comes to me and asks what hardware to precure to host M.App enterprise, I can ask them a few questions of their intended use, and use a benchmark/minimum requirment to calculate.

Staff

there are too many variables to consider to extrapolate an architecture from the minimum specs. A benchmark can be made on specific use cases, not as general purpose. It is not enough to say the number of requests, number and type of layers and number of seats. You would have to consider many additional aspects:

• scenarios: 
    • SW as a service: different customers may have completely different requirements in terms of response time, type of applications, data, integration with external services...
    • Single customer: in case of different departments you may get a situation similar to the above
  • IT infrastructure (it is not only about hardware or virtual specs, it involves network and client systems):
    • on premise
    • public/private/hybrid cloud
  • Projects/Apps implementation: this is the most difficult part, since you may have heregenous data sources deployed on different nodes. For each data source you will have to consider:
    • type of App that will display the content: will it be browser or desktop or mobile? With what type of interaction (just visualization or querying or analysis or editing)?
    • performance requirements: should the user get a map in n seconds? should the user get a response of a query in n seconds?
    • amount of data: it is not enough to say how many layers and what type of layers: each vector data may contain an unknwon number of geometries/vertices to be displayed based on the user interaction (map requested)
    • type of data transferred to the client: is the whole data source cached or are there many layers to be served live? When should the cache be produced (while the system is not used, created once or scheduled, can be produced on a dedicated server,...)?
  • Storage area: based on the data source you may need a fast storage like a SAN or a local drive to serve live raster features; if everytihng is cached then access to the warehouse must be the fastes storage source
  • An important and special consideration about the database: the DB is not part of our software delivery, but it is one of the critical parts for achieving good performances. Database vendors may give different performances deployed on the same machine/infrastructure. Quite often you may also encounter requirements to keep data where they are already stored and in this case you have to evaluate "how far" they are from the application servers.

For minimum requirements you can consider what you found in the system requirement document, they are quite simply achievable with modern HW/Virtualization technologies. I would NOT consider the minimum requirements the starting point for the architecture evaluation, it should always be calculated based on the customer's requirements. 

Stefano

Stefano Turcato
Presale Engineer
Hexagon Geospatial
Frequent Contributor

@jan.neumann can you please provide a link to the System Requirements document for M.App Entprise?

Highlighted
Staff

hi Richard,

all of the documents related to M.App Enterprise releases are published here:

http://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/M-App-Enterprise-Release/tkb-p/KS_MAppEnterprise_Release_I...

HTH,

Stefano

Stefano Turcato
Presale Engineer
Hexagon Geospatial
Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Development Ticket through our Development Ticket Portal.