Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

M.App Enterprise

Discuss topics with other M.App Enterprise Product pioneers and experts to get the most out of it.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor

theme for boundary

[ Edited ]

Hello.

I want to start with the question:

How or when could be possible to configure polygons display (theme) using especific data from that layer when use points and polygons in the same feature analyzer?

When I use only one polygon layer as feature data, the number of themes created reflects to the polygons, but when use point data as feature data and polygons for boundaries the theme becomes only a pie chart and there's no visual relation with map data.

Atached is an image of the menu traying to clarify what I mean.

Thanks a lot.

Staff

Re: theme for boundary

Hi elflakoconk,

When you specify the polygon feature from a vector set as the feature data it becomes an Area Analyzer View with the feature being analyzed/charted the area.

When the polygon feature of the vector set is specified as the boundary feature it is required to set up the feature data/boundary data relationship on the Field Setup tab in order to display the boundary feature and how it summarizes the feature data.

boundary.PNG

I hope that helps as I've tried to understand the inquiry being made here.

Contributor

Thank you sclow, maybe I did not explaine as well as I thought.

What I want is view the same colors for the polygons and the chart also watching clustering for points in the same feature analyzer.

Staff

Yes, I admit that I am confused here.

Maybe if you explain the desire in real terms such as having precincts (polygon/boundary) and crimes (point/incident) to analyze it would help me understand. Or another real world example of your liking

Contributor

Sure.

I'll use this example:

Got 2 vector sets

1. People location (point/incident)

Contain age, name, if is employed, etc.

2. Marginal degree (polygon/boundary)

Determne the zone where people is located depending of the kind of services in that zone, High, very high, medium, low, very low.

I need:

• The Theme (pie chart) with 5 colors, green to red for each marginal degree value
  • The same 5 colors of the Theme for the polygon in the map (marginal degree boundary)
  • Clustering defined by distance (done)
  • Display average age and other data (done)

Issue:

Before established the data relationship I set the theme configuration, and select the Marginal Degree field wish contains the value; High, low, etc. Select colors for the theme (pie chart).

Then try to set same colors for the Boundary, there's the question.

Technical Evangelist

Hello,

If I understand your workflow correctly, I think the way to achieve the same colors in the Theme and Boundary is to make use of a Custom color sequence for your Theme, then match this color sequence in the Boundary. See below for details.

Answer.png

The key items to pay attendtion to are: (1) ensure the From and To colors match in both places, and (2) that the number of legend entries and the number of Slices match. In your example, you would need to have 6 Slices since there are 6 legend entries.

Sincerely,

Robert

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks a lot for your attention and patience.

This seems like a solution but it doesn't work for all cases, sometimes have to use specific colors, each color means something, thats why in my example you can see:

gray = no data, red = very high, orange = high, yellow = medium, lemon = low, green = very low.

In other cases need to represent political parties, so each of them have a specific color.

I was thinking to use a WMS, could help but witout playing with polygon clicking or filtering.

Technical Evangelist

Another approach would be to change how the points are rendered on screen. This would help your map readers better see the thematic points within the map.

I assume that you are currently using cluster markers to display the points, like the cluster markers shown in the example below.

Clusters.png

You can modify how these are rendered so the each end every point is rendered in the map with the theme color, like those in the example below.

Points.png

With this the map reader can easily see the distribution of points and the results of each filter.

To do this go to Field Setup > Advanced tab and place a check mark beside Use Faster Rendering.

Step 1.png

Then go to the Colors tab and set the style that make sense for your data. The default style settings are typically good, but you may want to increase the Point size to 25 or 30.

Step 2.png

Hope this helps.

Robert

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Development Ticket through our Development Ticket Portal.