Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

Mobile Q&A

Mobile and field solutions function as an extension of the overall enterprise, and include the ability to access, create, review and update geospatial data and asset information in real-time in the field.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Server Communication Error on smartphone device

by sclow ‎08-30-2016 12:15 PM - edited ‎09-06-2016 05:52 AM (1,000 Views)

Question

We upgraded our Mobile Map Works (MMW) server to 2016 and recently downloaded as well the MMW Essentials app from the app store to take advantage of the app on smartphone devices. When entering our server URL in the app we encounter the following error: "Server communication error"

No configurations are accessible with the existing server. All is well when accessed from tablet. Why can't we access the MMW server from MMW Essentials app on the smartphone device?

Answer

Mobile Map Works (the product) is different from Mobile Map Works Essentials (the app) and in fact the two are incompatible. This is why the server communication error is presented. MMW Essentials will not connect to a MMW server.

In order to connect to a MMW server the MMW app is required which is supported on tablets and not smartphones.

For more information on MMW release 2016 see:

http://www.hexagongeospatial.com/products/platform-suite/mobile-mapworks/2016-product-release-detail...

For more information on how to configure an app to use MMW Essentials app on smartphone devices see here:

http://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/Developers-Knowledge-Base/MMW-Service-Guide/ta-p/1429

Comments
by
on ‎09-05-2016 05:49 AM

I also had trouble trying to connect to our Mobile MapWorks configuration url using the Mobile MapWorks essentials app from my android device(not a tablet). So can someone please elaborate on the differences between MMW service and the MMW configuration server product available in the Hexagon Geospatial product download page. Which product is customizable and which one is not customizable using the Mobile SDK? and must i have a HGDN subscription to get the Mobile SDK and MMW service plugin?

This can also extend to Mobile MapWorks advantage, how do i get the product for testing? And are there any plans to enable support for non-tablet devices for the main Mobile MapWorks app (currently available only for tablet devices)? 

Contributors