Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

Mobile

Need help in setting and configuring Mobile MapWorks or just looking for general information you can’t find anywhere else. The Mobile discussion board is where you can look for answers, ask those questions and help others by sharing your knowledge. Help build a strong Mobile Community and join in on the discussions.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Regular Contributor

Mobile MapWorks Offline Configuration from GeoMedia

I am searching for content/tutorial on how to do Mobile MapWorks offline configuration by generating a GeoPackage from GeoMedia. There was a GeoMedia tool for this purpose, where can i locate it?

Regular Contributor

Re: Mobile MapWorks Offline Configuration from GeoMedia

Regular Contributor

Yes, this is helpful but i thought there was more...like automatic generation of the MMW configuration file?

Regular Contributor

Sorry I've not looked into the offline configuration of MMW for some time. I've been focusing on online and synchronisation on-demand configurations.

I'm interested to know if you have customers using the MMW offline configuration, how do they get on with the administrative overhead of generating cache files and copying all the data to the device (via 3rd party tools)?

The last time I created an offline raster tile cache it took hours to copy to the device due to the number of images which made it un-usable for any of our potential customers (who would need to do this for 100's or 1000's of devices).

Thanks,

Colin

Regular Contributor

Main reason for asking is for a demo on the complete offline MMW workflow involving GeoMedia. We currently don't have a customer running on a complete offline workflow but we are in anticipation. The workflow would involve working mainly with vector data + online basemaps. However, the challenges with this workflow is something that we have not given a careful thought and we will reconsider our position based on your experience.

Regards,

Elvis

Regular Contributor

I should caveat that it has been some time since I looked at offline configurations with MMW. When I last did this GeoMedia didn't support the Geopackage format so the process to create the GPKG is better. Having looked at the documentation link I sent it reminded me of other enhancements I read about.

Wasn't there a utility you would use to convert the rasters output by GeoMedia to a native GPKG raster format that the MMW app can read?

I can't see any mention of that utility on the link I sent.

Staff

Guys,

Ragarding this topic I'm having some doubts about the offline configuration and synchronisation.

I'm trying to do a configuration and I'm seeing that the offline configuration should have a geopackage that at the end of the day it should be pulled back again to server and loaded to the database, right?

If we have multiple devices (I think this should be the standard) with several geopackages that goes to work on the field, when the geopackages are downloaded and incorporated to database we must be extremelly carefull because we could overwrite informations that someone has gathered, right?

This is always a manual process, correct? The synchronisation service only works from server to device or it also works from device to server?

TIA

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

We may be talking about different configurations in this topic.

I think the topic was raised against setting up a "offline" configuration. In the latest version of MMW, this involves creating a GeoPackage and manually placing it on the device, updating the data in the field and then manually copying the GeoPackageg to a machine and outputting the data back into the source database using GeoMedia.

https://hexagongeospatial.fluidtopics.net/reader/QrEbyE0XHYHOK_3tKDoPZg/BhxJ9ErSh_2atmFU0FoQ~A

Then there is "Synchronisation on-demand" topic. With this configuration users pull from a MMW server-side service the GeoPackage onto their device (no manual copy) and they then perform edits in the field into the GeoPackage and manually push the changes back via the WFS-T. All within the MMW app.

https://hexagongeospatial.fluidtopics.net/reader/QrEbyE0XHYHOK_3tKDoPZg/bfrPgzjFluCgidKxAcH5wA

Both configurations suffer the limitation you raise that multiple users could edit/update/delete the same feature and MMW does not handle conflict detection/resolution. This is deferred to the database level. I think this is where the "offline" configuration has the benefit of using the GeoMedia Oracle LTT data server to create a Workspace in Oracle to handle the locking/editing of data. This only applies to Oracle of course and Oracle LTT can be expensive for a customer to implement.

Polls
Please register to vote
Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.