Smart M.App discussions

Looking for answers in regards to M.Apps, M.App Exchange or M.App Studio? Smart M.App Tech Discussion board is where you can search, ask your questions and assist others by sharing your knowledge. Join the conversation, connect, contribute and share.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Display point map features as selectable pins in BI Map

Hi everybody,

I have a point layer which I added as stage to my bi map. I'd like to display the points as selectable features with tooltips. When I visualize the layer as point map it only displays clusters of points and the sum of points within the cluster. When I filter the features by charts the clusters show e.g. (2/5) if two of the five points within the cluster match the filter conditions (see attachment). How can I achieve that I see the features as single points which are selectable in the map? 

Marisa

Staff

Re: Display point map features as selectable pins in BI Map

Marisa,

For that type of map widget you need to zoom in cloaser to expend clasters to all features.

If you don't want to display features as clasters  - please use choropleth widget.

Best regards

Tomasz

Frequent Contributor

Hello Tomasz,

thanks for the fast reply! The choropleth widget solved the problem. I didn't know that you can also use it for point geometries.

(Zooming in closer to the point map widget doesn't show single points at the lowest level as it happens in an incident analyzer apps.)

regards

Marisa

Frequent Contributor

Hi Tomasz and everyone else who has an idea,

I thought the choropleth was a solution for my pin problem but unfortunately it's not. If there are too many points in the map it's a big mess and I don't like the visualization as huge circles. So I still need the point map visualization.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to show single points not as circles but as pins with the tip pointing on the actual coordinates of the point?
  2. How can I change the cluster radius? I have to zoom in too close until single points appear.
  3. Can I stop the clustering at a certain zoom level so that points with the same coordinates are displayed as single pins when I zoom in very close?

Cheers

Marisa

Technical Evangelist

Hi marisa,

How about considering another approach?

You can create more choropleth layers (see Apply scale bands to manage the BI layers visibility) with data generalized to some extent per each layer. Then, after zooming in, the best viable choropleth layer would only display.

Alternatively, you can create a specific pin layer and control its visibility using API:

https://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/Shared-Samples/Exercise-Cities-as-pins-on-the-map/ta-p/54...

Regards,

Jan

Jan Neumann
Post Sales Engineer Web Applications
Hexagon Geospatial

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Jan,

thanks for your ideas!

I tried your second idea because I would really like to have pins and not circles as point visualization but my dataset contains 6000 points and all opened hexagon-tabs of my browser break down when the pins are displayed in the map.

So is there no opportunity to change the visualization of the choropleth or the Point map to pins like in the incident analyzer app?

(BTW:

1. Why does  $GP.map.pin.add(..) work in a BI map (or is this the reason why tha page breaks down?)

2. If it was possible to use $GP.map.pin.add(..) in a BI map why can't I display other GeoJson geometries as layer in my BI map but have to make a choropleth out of it or retrieve the GeoJson from a wfs? )

Concerning your first idea: I tried to follow this tutorial  two weeks ago and I didn't manage to add two gemeotry layers to the same stage as they need to be exactly the same ( same id column name and apparently same values within the id column) which doesn't make sense because this would mean that they actually are the same . 

Did you once try this?

Regards,

Marisa