Smart M.App discussions

Looking for answers in regards to M.Apps, M.App Exchange or M.App Studio? Smart M.App Tech Discussion board is where you can search, ask your questions and assist others by sharing your knowledge. Join the conversation, connect, contribute and share.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

IMG format

[ Edited ]

Folks, 

The output of RasterOutput creates an IMG file in Map Chest, but (1) although I can see a map in the thumbnail, I can't preview the output and (2) no other application (typically used to view rasters) seems to be able to render IMG files.

Previewing the raster from Map Chest opens a window over Africa without displaying the raster as shown here. If I download the IMG and open it in IMAGINE, nothing displays. It's possible the image content of the file is empty, but then why does the thumbnail show a map?l

Can I output a TIFF? Here there's a library that converts IMG to MDF, but that may not improve the situation.

Is there any OSS that render IMG types? 

Regards

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Re: IMG format

Try opening the downloaded IMG file with Image Metadata in IMAGINE. Check the stats, or compute them if they aren't there. Check if a NODATA value is set, and look at the pixel data. Open the Raster Attribute Editor and see if there is a Contrast or Color column. That should help us determine why you aren't seeing anything when you open it in the IMAGINE 2D view.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Mae culpa. I double-clicked on the IMG files to open them in IMAGINE and ended up with a model when I expected an image. I found that using File > Open once in Imagine loaded and displayed the images and your advice helped familiarize me with the tools for investigating image properties.

Regarding your questions, it appears the stats were computed and there was pixel data based on the histogram. The Raster Attribute Editor did not have Contrast or Color columns. 

IMG1

IMG2

I suspect these IMG aren't displaying in Smart M.Apps because one wasn't georeferenced and the other perhaps was using incorrect values in its georeferencing keys.

Regards

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not sure what the etiquette is about old threads, so please excuse me.

As I commented last, I was able to view IMG files in ERDAS IMAGINE, but I still can't seem to get these to display on Smart M.App and the RasterOuput operator behaves different on the desktop vs online. On the desktop, it writes a tif, but online it writes an img, which I'd like to stay away from.

I experimented as much as I could. I tried displaying a number of geotif examples taken from OSGeo and none published. I tried publishing my geotifs using all permutations of publish settings (different WMS CRS, WMS only, WMTS only, WMS + WMTS) - nothing. if I compress these images to JPG then they display online, but lose some georeferencing information. 

[1] Anyone else experience this? 

[2] Is there a way to get the RasterOutput op to produce a TIF in Smart M.Apps

Regards