Spatial Modeler Discussions

Gain, exchange, and share knowledge, or discuss topics with other Hexagon Geospatial Product pioneers and experts to get the most out of Hexagon Geospatial products.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Frequent crashes when using Spatial Model Editor

[ Edited ]

Folks, 

I have a model that's grown to 720 kb (24,000 GDMX lines) and has been crashing at a frequency that increased in step with model size and is now crashing on the minute. I'm getting dev time and run time failures.

The dev time failure occurs right after either dropping in a new operator or changing an operator property. The effect of this failure is that my mouse cursor switches between a busy cursor and arrow indefinately while memory nudges up slowly. It doesn't seem to recover so I usually give it both barrels (taskkill). When I relaunch Imagine, my most recent operator is in the Recent Operators list in the toolbar, so the failure occurs immediately after registering the use of that op. In general, the more I use Imagine, the more likely it'll crash. My only strategy has been to save often.

The run time failures appear less predictable. I can launch Imagine and run a model and it'll just blow up with an error, "IMAGINE has encounted an error and needs to close," but if I restart and run the same problem, it might run through just fine. 

RE environment. I'm running Imagine 16 and 16.1 on Windows 7 Pro SP1 in VirtualBox (v 5.0.26) from an OpenSuse Linux (v Leap 42.1) host. Hardware is a few years old, but decent: 8-core AMD FX8350 w/ 24GB RAM and SSD. I doubt these crashes have to do with the platform, because everything's fine for small models. 

Anyone else experience this? I read from another user that they had to simply rebuild their model, but that would be quite an effort for "large" models (I think this is large. I'm not sure how big everyone else's is). Any advice, validation utilities, diagnostics, etc. is appreciated. 

Regards

Frequent Contributor

Re: Frequent crashes

UPDATE:

The error message upon a run time crash mentions one of 2 libraries: MSVCR100_CLR400.dll and emllib.dll.

During a dev time crash, an older version of my Windows Start menu starts getting rendered towards the top of my screen. If I minimize ERDAS, then I can continue using Windows, so I doubt it's the OS and the Start menu is where it should be. Because of this, I suspect the problem has to do with ERDAS refreshing/redrawing windows or interface elements. 

run time crash.png

Regards

Technical Evangelist

We think we've traced this instabilitty to the particular version of the toolkit we use to provide the graphical editor components (which was upgraded in ERDAS IMAGINE 2014). We're testing it right now and hope to release it with ERDAS IMAGINE 2016 v16.1 (which is scheduled for release in Q4).

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Ian. 

I'm digging the visual development environment. What toolkit are you using? Online, is it D3?

Regards