Spatial Modeler Discussions

Gain, exchange, and share knowledge, or discuss topics with other Hexagon Geospatial Product pioneers and experts to get the most out of Hexagon Geospatial products.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

[Vector Data Input] Is it possible to connect to CAD data

Hi all,

I'm exploring the Spatial Modeler capabilities because one of our customer can be interested by it, but only if some operations are possible, one of them is the possibility to read CAD data as input

I have made some tests on Features Input, Data Input or Vector Attribute Input operators, but I have only found the following data inputs :

• Shape
  • GeoCSV
  • JSON
  • Oracle / SQLServer / PostGIS proxy

Is it possible to read CAD data through he Spatial modeler? Our customer has Microstation (.dgn) files as input?

Regards,

Benoît

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist
Technical Evangelist

Re: [Vector Data Input] Is it possible to connect to CAD data

Features Input operator does not support CAD files of any sort, and I don't recall seeing a request for it previously.  It is feasible, in principle, and therefore you should consider filing it as an Idea on the Ideation board.  However keep in mind that CAD data is not the same as GIS data, and that it requires somehow the same sort of interpretation into features that is provided by GeoMedia through its CAD data server.  This can be non-trivial if done thoroughly, and I'm not sure how it would happen in the context of Spatial Modeler.  But of course I cannot comment on your expectations.  - Hal

P.S.  You can add GeoPackage to your list, effective with the 2020 release of the Power Portfolio.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Hi Hal,

No, I haven't made any request by the past for CAD support. I have just made some tests with the Spatial Modeler to see what can be the possibilities in some vector data processes

We have made some developments based on the GM API for data integration (or made this integration by chaining some GM Geoworkspaces), and the idea was to see if it is possible to replace it by Spatial Modeler processes in the future. Today, the response is not, due to the input data limitations, but it can be interesting for other contexts

Regards,

Benoît

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist
Technical Evangelist

Sorry, Benoit, I wasn't clear.  I didn't mean not hearing a request for CAD support from you specifically, I meant that I have not heard such a request from anyone at all.

Certainly using Spatial Modeler to replace certain GeoMedia pipelines constructed from its analysis commands, is a common interest and a strong reason why we have been working so hard to bring GeoMedia capabilities into Spatial Modeler.  But of course if they are your custom capabilities we can't help with that. :-)

One thing to keep in mind is that CAD data (and any other data in a GeoMedia GeoWorkspace including queries, etc.) can be input to a spatial model through the Run Spatial Model command.  This is a capability unique to the GeoMedia environment, so it doesn't help you if your goal is to run spatial models in batch (for example).

I see you have posted another question to the forum, I'll have a look at that too.  - Hal