Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

Spatial Modeler

Discuss topics with other Hexagon Geospatial Product pioneers and experts to get the most out of our products.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

GeoMedia Spatial Models

Hi everybody

Has anybody already some nice spatial models dealing with vector data? I'm searching for any examples to see what's possible.

Regards

Occasional Contributor

Re: GeoMedia Spatial Models

This is old topic and I have same question still....or maybe a bit different angle. Can you do all same things in Geomedia Spatial Modelling as you can do in Imagine too - except some specific licensing requirement. I mean can you do all basic Imagine things in Geomedia based spatial modelling as you can do in Imagine based spatial modelling or is Geomedia version limited by license?

Technical Evangelist
Technical Evangelist

GeoMedia Professional delivers the same Spatial Modeler as is delivered with IMAGINE, except that it delivers the 32-bit form rather than the 64-bit form.  The operator suite is the same between them, so models that run in one product today, will run in the other as well (this could change at a later date).

GeoMedia Advantage and Essentials do not deliver Spatial Model Editor, but you can still run models through the Run Spatial Model command of GeoMedia (also available in the Professional tier).  However this approach has a different focus, integrating spatial modeling into GeoMedia, so it has special capabilities and also various limitations.  - Hal

Occasional Contributor

So all imagery and lidar functions are runnable in Geomedia too - except the ones that are clearly limited by the license like AutoDTM etc. functions that will not run Imagine either if no valid extension license available.

My question was for a case if I make some imagery process in Imagine then my clients with Geomedia Professional can run and edit it like I can do in Imagine. The Essential/Advantage limitation is clear. It is same as in Imagine side

Technical Evangelist
Technical Evangelist

Yes, that's right.  One other distinction to keep in mind is that Spatial Model Editor (SME) is integrated directly into the IMAGINE runtime environment, while with GeoMedia it is a separate standalone utility accessed from the Start menu.  But they can each open and edit the same models.  - Hal

Occasional Contributor

Perfect answer - thanks

Contributor

Hello, Everybody

Would be nice to have number of tested examples with "Define Functional Attribute"  and "Generate Functional Attribute'. As well as with some more samples of "purely vector"  operators " Intersect features"  and "Mask features".

Occasional Contributor

This Analytical Receipes site is the place to find those:

http://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/Spatial-Recipes/tkb-p/KS_SpatialModeler_AnalyticalRecipes

However I totally agree that there is mainly Imagine raster based models and nearly none vector functions. So I hope to see some samples more likel you said but in generally making models is so easy that it should not prevent anyone to test it by themselves.

Just start putting functions in the row and see what happens.

In raster side it is current situation that all new development arrives just in spatial modeller and I guess that will be the trend in future in Geomedia vector side too.

Actually plenty of Imagine Objective based vector functions arrived in last release and there is already pretty much available in top of basic things you listed in question. There are functions like "Compute Orthogonality" etc. in Geometry Measurement category

Technical Evangelist
Technical Evangelist

It is our intention to have a very simple sample model delivered with GeoMedia for each new feature operator that we deliver that is mined from the GeoMedia analytical capabilities.  We did not do this with the 2018 release and you are correct that we lack such a sample for the 5 new operators in that category - General Functional Attributes, Define Functional Attribute, Intersect Features, Mask Features, and the new Merge Features.  I expect that to be remedied in a coming Update release.

Having said that, I believe that Intersect Features and Mask Features in particular are very easy to understand and use, with a simple set of self-explanatory ports and extensive help that describes with words and pictures how they work (right-click on operator, then Operator Help).  The same level of help is available for all of these operators, but it is certainly the case that GFA, DFA, and Merge Features are more complex and would benefit from a sample.  One challenge is that samples involving attributes (as can be the case with all 3 of these) are necessarily bound to specific data (or at least a specific schema), which complicates the situation.

Regarding the anticipation stated here: "In raster side it is current situation that all new development arrives just in spatial modeller and I guess that will be the trend in future in Geomedia vector side too"...that is not quite true.  Although we are indeed investing heavily in the feature capabilities of Spatial Modeler, the geoprocessing capabilities that Spatial Modeler excels at are only a small part of what GeoMedia can do and we continue to invest in GeoMedia as well.  - Hal

Staff

Interesting the inputs and work being done with Spatial Modeler. I still have a doubt. It is well understood from this thread that Spatial Modeler in GeoMedia environment runs in 32 bit, and in Imagine environment can run with 64bit, but I would like to be sure that in the 64 bit enviironment (that can be Imagine or the same Spatial Modeler editor)  the vectorial analysis operators run in 64 bit, This  means that we may not have problems on handling large datasets operations  that we allways have to take care on GeoMedia environment for the 32bit restrictions.

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.