Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

Spatial Modeler

Discuss topics with other Hexagon Geospatial Product pioneers and experts to get the most out of our products.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor

Installed Oracle client version for Spatial model editor 2016 - Features Database output?

Hello everybody !

I am wondering which version of Oracle client must be installed on desktop to satisfy "Features Database output"  - Select Data source (for Oracle). I have installed Oracle client 11G R2 32-bit with Administrator option (required for Geomedia) and "Features Database output"  -Select Data source throws error " Could not load file or assembly .Version 4.112.3.0....the system can not find the file specified ".

Would it be necessary for Spatial model editor to install 64 bit Oracle client or the Oracle 12c client?

Best regards,

Ervins

Technical Evangelist

Re: Installed Oracle client version for Spatial model editor 2016 - Features Database output?

Oracle12c Client is required to make this work. Please follow the below installation procedure

1. Download the installers for 32-bit and 64-bit Oracle client from ORACLE download webpage using the following links
  2. 32-bit installer
    1. Go to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/utilsoft-087491.html
    2. Download the ODAC XCopy version ODAC121024Xcopy_32bit.zip
  3. 64-bit installer
    1. Go to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html
    2. Download the ODAC XCopy_X64 version ODAC121024Xcopy_x64.zip
  4. Unzip both installers to a temporary location
  5. Start command prompt as administrator
  6. For both the 32-bit and 64-bit installers, do the following in the command prompt
  7. 32-bit installer
    1. Change directory to the folder where the 32-bit installer is unzipped.
    2. Run the following command: install basic c:\oracle\32 IMAGINE false
    3. Run the following command: install odp.net4 c:\oracle\32 IMAGINE true
  8. 64-bit installer
    1. Change directory to the folder where the 64-bit installer is unzipped.
    2. Run the following command: install basic c:\oracle\64 IMAGINE false
    3. Run the following command: install odp.net4 c:\oracle\64 IMAGINE true
  9. Create sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora files.
  10. Please refer to the attachments for the templates of both the above mentioned ora files. (The files are attached with .png extension format. After download please change the extension type to .ora format and do the necessary edits)
  11. No edits are needed in sqlnet.ora file
  12. For tnsnames.ora file, modify the entries (data source alias, hostname or IP, port, database service name) accordingly for your database
  13. Copy the files to C:\oracle\32\network\admin and c:\oracle\64\network\admin 
  14. Restart IMAGINE (if it is already open)
Contributor

Re: Installed Oracle client version for Spatial model editor 2016 - Features Database output?

Thanks for answer!

The  Oracle client installation procedure described abowe allows me to create Oracle Feature Proxy file (*.ofp) in Imagine 2016 and to add in Imagine Map window the vector layer from Oracle data source. It works fine.

But Standalone Spatial Editor 2016 ->add Features Database Output operator, click on Output Database port and then " Add Oracle" -> " Use Oracle Database authentification" -> adding the same Oracle credentials as before for  Imagine *.ofp  calls different error now "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object".

My intent is to output vector features into Oracle DB from standalone Spatial editor.

Regards,

Ervins

Technical Evangelist

Sorry for the delayed response and we apologize for the inconvenience that you are facing while using the functionality. Unfortunately this is a known issue and we are actively working on it.

Frequent Contributor

Ervins, 

Out of curiosity, are your ORACLE database and client versions in sync? 

recall having trouble connecting to Oracle Spatial from desktop CAD/GIS, which resolved upon using synced client and database versions, e.g., use the 64-bit 11g client with the 64-bit 11g database, and so on. In my case, AutoCAD or ArcGIS (I forget which) wouldn't work using a 64-bit 11g client on a Windows7 box to talk to a 32-bit ORACLE 10g database on Windows Server 2003.

Regards

Contributor

Dear Noel,

Now I have 3 (!)  Oracle client installations on the same computer . And the server is 64-bit Oracle 11G R2 on Windows server 2012.

The reason is simple: according to instructions in thread above I installed two Oracle instant clients 32 bit and 64 bit for Imagine 2016. I believe the two clients (32 and 64 bit )  for Imagine is mandatory because part of Imagine code is still 32 bit?

And I did separate 32 bit Oracle 12c client installation with " Administrator"  option for Geomedia 2016. I want to run both products - Imagine and Geomedia on same computer and run spatial models from "Spatial model Editor"  standalone .

I believe is is intended workflow for vector feature interoperability between Geomedia and Imagine (via relational database not only ESRI shape) .

After deinstallation of Oracle 11G 32 bit client (with Administration option, size 1.02 GB) and installation of Oracle 12c 32 bit client (with Administration option)  the behaviour of "Features Database Output"  is changed. No more error " "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object". But Oracle table is always empty. I discovered what " Features Database Output"  operator populates only Oracle SDOSYS table but not GDOSYS (necessary for Geomedia).

Would be great to recieve new hotfix for " Features Database Output"  operator with full instructions how to deal with situation - both Geomedia desktop and Imagine is installed on 64 -bit Windows (but Geomedia of course is 32 bit) . As well as SQLserver client configuration too.

Best regards,

Ervins

Frequent Contributor

Ervins, 

It's been about 6 years since I last used GeoMedia so this might be outdated info, but I recall there was a utility that shipped with GeoMedia that set up the GDOSYS schema, which only contained metadata for your spatial data stored in some other schema (in your case, that appears to be SDOSYS). It was a small utility that only had 5 or so buttons arranged in one column. If you find that, maybe you could unregister and reregister your data tables.

I suppose the multiple clients not be a problem so long as each software is using the client it's happy with, but that's the part that gave me headaches. 

Regards

Highlighted
Staff

Dear Ervins,

The behavior you've described for Features Database Output operator occurs if you use mixed or lower case characters for the value on port OutputTableName. Table names need to be upper case to be correctly recorded in the GDOSYS metadata tables. We're working on a fix to ensure that the value on the OutputTableName is converted to upper case before being used to create the output table.

Regards

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.