Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

Spatial Modeler

Discuss topics with other Hexagon Geospatial Product pioneers and experts to get the most out of our products.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Palm Counting Spatial Modeler

Hi, community,

I am doing my palm counting trial with my own data with palm counting spatial modeler that I've downloaded from spatial recipes hexagon geospatial. My image has 4 bands. I run it and it's successful. but the result doesn't multiples polygons which counting of palms but a big polygon that have similar large with the image. here it it is the result :

palm_counting result4.PNG

here it is the model below :

palm_counting result3.PNG

what steps I've missed here? anyone can help? here I attached the model and the image may be needed.

Thank you 

Regards,

Dwima

Staff

Re: Palm Counting Spatial Modeler

Hello Dwima,

It is expected result, since in the image you have attached here, the band 4 (NIR) is blank. All pixels have only one value - 255, that's why you cannot perform any computations on it.

In general, I suggest you to use Preview operator to visulaze your intermediate results to see if you are getting what expected.

2019-04-09 13_05_29-Start.png

Kind Regards,
Marina Vardovska
Hexagon Geospatial Support
Occasional Contributor

Hi, mvardovs

Thank you, I didn't realize that my NIR Band is blank. I tried my other data (composites it and checked the metadata and it has a similar condition. It depends on the camera or what thing for the image? 

About the band selection in the spatial modeler, in the original spatial modeler that I've downloaded chosen 1:1 for the sample data 0051.img. band selection that actually chosen on that operator is a band for NIR band, isn't it? here I attached the picture of it. 
And for the threshold algorithm, it is to make more easily the software to detect the palm, isn't it? 

Regards, 

Dwima

Technical Evangelist

Hi Dwima,

My guess would be that you have passed some original imagery through a package which has turned an opactiy channel into a fourth band in the .img file. If you display your imagery it definitley appears to be RGBO - there is no Near Infrared band.

As to the model itself and if it uses the NIR band, I'm not familiar with that model. Can you please provide a link to the page from which you downloaded it.

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ian,

Pretty sure it is my old model from SterlingGeo and I believe the location will no longer be active. 

Video that went with the model - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHxdDZQMIk0&t=45s

Kind Regards,

Emily

An automated method for counting palm trees from UAV imagery using ERDAS IMAGINE 2015 Spatial Modeller. For further information visit www.sterlinggeo.com
Occasional Contributor

Hi Emily,

Thank you so much for your respond, Yup, it's the same model. I exactly have it when I'm doing a project for a government in Indonesia for ERDAS APOLLO. What do you mean with "the location will no longer be active". I need your help about the image exactly in that video,

1. What band are you used for palm counting besides NIR band? and is it need pre-processing for the image before counting the palm?
  2. For the result, especially for the attribute, is it possible to get the x and y information for each palm?

Sorry Emily for the question, I'm still learning about spatial modeler and their application. Really need your help. 

Regards, 

Dwima. 

Occasional Contributor

Hello Dwima,

The image I used was not georeferenced, therefore you cannot retrieve the x and y locations. However, that is possible in the spatial modeller, if you have spatially aware data. For example, you could Convert to Features and then use a Create Centerpoint Operator. 

I only used the NIR band for this example model. No pre-processing was preformed, however it depends on your input imagery and what output is required. 

Regards,

Emily 

Occasional Contributor

Hi Emily, 

Thank you for your answers, but, What do you mean with spatially aware data and create centerpoint operator? and how to combine in that spatial modeler?

About only NIR band that you used for example model, it doesn't need RGB band? 

Regards,

Dwima. 

Occasional Contributor

Hello Dwima, 

Yes, I only used the NIR band - not the visual bands (RGB). The Centerpoint operator is a spatial model operator introduced in version 2018. I suggest you contact your local support for further help with the spatial modeler. 

Regards,

Emily 

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.