Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

Spatial Modeler

Discuss topics with other Hexagon Geospatial Product pioneers and experts to get the most out of our products.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

Spatial Model Editor 2016 - use Access-Warehouses (.mdb) as Input

Hi everybody!

I want to use existing GeoMedia Access-Warehouses as Input for a spatial model, but I only find operators that can handle with Shape, SQL- or Oracle. Can't I connect directly to a .mdb-Warehouse?

Regards,

Stefan

GAUSS Ingenieurtechnik GmbH | Germany
Staff

Re: Spatial Model Editor 2016 - use Access-Warehouses (.mdb) as Input

Spatial Model Editor 2016 currenly supports feature data stored as:

• Oracle
  • arcview shapefile
  • SQL Server

Access stored (GDO) Features are not supported as a source of input to the Features Input object.

Contributor

I found the operator "vector attribute input (Legacy).

in this there is Filename -> Geomedia File proxy (gwp) where it is possible connect a dataserves of GM ( access, shp, ecc. )

is it the right way ?

Of course I have not been able to make it work .....

Giulio

Regular Contributor

Hi Giulio,

thank you for your idea!

With the mentioned operator I'm able to connect an acces-database Smiley Happy

ERDAS IMAGINE Help -> Connect to GeoMedia Database Workflow

There is a detailed step-by-step instruction how to connect including the creation of so called "GeoMedia File Proxy"!

You can connect to each mdb that you want, choose your feature classes and afterwards work with them in the spatial modeler!

Have a try! Smiley Wink

Regards,

Stefan

PS: This is the link of my local Help-Site:

file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Hexagon/GeoMedia%20Professional/Spatial%20Modeler%202016/help/html/index.htm#ConnecttoGeoMediaDatabaseWorkflow.htm

Or just search for "GeoMedia database workflow"

GAUSS Ingenieurtechnik GmbH | Germany
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

I have seen this entry, but in the Spatial Modeler, it is not possible to create a GeoMedia File Proxy. I have already made it in the past, but directly in ERDAS Imagine.

Can you confirm to me that the only way is to install ERDAS Imagine to be able to connect the Spatial Modeler to Access database, and if yes, is this GeoMedia File Proxy possible with the Essential version of Imagine (which is accessible with a GeoMedia licence)?

Regards,

Staff

The Spatial Model Editor delivered with GeoMedia 2016 supports the following data sources:

• Oracle
  • arcview shapefile
  • SQL Server (Native Spatial)

These are all supported data sources for models imported to Smart M.App. The Imagine GeoMedia Warehouse Proxy (.gwp) file for serving record sets from a 32 bit data server into Imagine is not supported (at least at this time) however parts of IMAGINE besides Spatial Modeler do still take GWP.  Understanably this is a point of confussion that needs to be better documented in the Help as requested by Doc Defect 1-M2V815.

GWP for use in Imagine is used for GDO-based access, which Spatial Modeler can’t do because of its 64-bit requirement for Smart M.App (IMAGINE itself is 64-bit).  Enhancement CR 1-M2VQ8V request support for serving standard GeoMedia warehouse GDO data sources into Spatial Model Editor.

Best Regards

Frequent Contributor

Ok, thanks for this details

Technical Evangelist
Technical Evangelist

Starting with the 2016 release, the internal implementations of spatial modeler operators must all be 64-bit-ready and thread-safe.  The GDO and GeoMedia object model previously used in certain operators satisfy neither requirement.  The generation of Microsoft Access / DAO / Jet that is used for the Access data server is also not satisfactory in that regard.  The 2016 implementation of the feature operators therefore uses different technology internally now, and you have seen above the list of supported data source types.  More will come.

All of the above pertains to running models through Spatial Model Editor, its command-line executable, etc.  The rules will be different when we introduce the Run Spatial Model command in GeoMedia.  This capability, which was not quite ready in time to make the GeoMedia 2016 cutoff, will allow you to input any GeoMedia "recordset" (i.e. feature class, query, categorized item, etc.) into a parameterized spatial model, and then see the results within GeoMedia.  This will be an exciting addition!  - Hal

Occasional Contributor

has anyone else been trying to do this more recently?  My interest stems from trying to use Section  23:   Combine Vector Class to a Classified Landcover Image of the IMAGINE Training Tutorials, which begins by setting the vector file type to .gwp...........which does not appear to be an option in IMAGINE18.

I can not find the Connect to GeoMedia Database workflow that is referred to in the Solution .........anywhere in the IMAGINE Help files...(there are workflows for converting gwp to .shp....).

I will likely work around this by obtaining a vector file of streets another way, but thought I'd alert someone to this contradiction btw. the training materials and the current version of the software....

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.