Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

Spatial Modeler

Discuss topics with other Hexagon Geospatial Product pioneers and experts to get the most out of our products.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Spatial Modeller - What's the difference between the "Generate Surface" vs "Tridicon SGM" operator.

Dear Community,

What's the difference between the "Generate Surface" operator and the "Tridicon SGM" operator.

When does I use the "Generate Surface" operator and when does I use the "Tridicon SGM" operator.

Thank you,

Wim

Staff

Re: Spatial Modeller - What's the difference between the "Generate Surface" vs "Tridi

Hello Wim,

Generate Surface operator uses eATE algorithm to extract terrain from a stereo image pair, whereas Tridicon SGM operator extracts a point cloud from a stereo image pair through the Tridicon Semi Global Matching (SGM) algorithm.

Also, Generate Surface checks only IMAGINE Essentials license but in order to use Tridicon SGM you will need SGM license.

Best Regards,

Yasemin

Frequent Contributor

Re: Spatial Modeller - What's the difference between the "Generate Surface" vs "Tridi

[ Edited ]

I have been involved recently a project where World View stereo pair was used in modesty hilly area with not much of a vegatation (open areas). Reference data was old maps and random GPS points here and there so not very good reference data. Height variation from WV satellite processed via Tridicon was "less than few meters". So maybe accurasies you can expect in this Tridicon method and WV data fall somewhere one meter neighbourhood in height. I have not read any other reports what accuracies have been reached but now I know what can be done as I have been personally involved in such case.

I think it is pretty good if you compare how high that imaging platform flies Smiley Happy.

I will link when reports gets public and visible but it might still take a while.

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.