Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

Spatial Modeler

Discuss topics with other Hexagon Geospatial Product pioneers and experts to get the most out of our products.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Zonal Attribute Function in Spatial Modeler

Hi there,

This may be a silly question, but I am building a complex model and need help.

My model creates a shapefile of polygons (segments), and a raster image of meaningful values. What I'd like to do is populate the polygons with the MEAN statistical value of the raster image values, within a new column in the attribute table.

Manually I can go to the Raster Tab -> Thematic -> Zonal Attributes to do the said analysis, however I'd like to find out if there is an approach to do this in the Spatial Modeler (through different operators), so that I can complete this analysis as part of my complex model?

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

Jens

Staff

Re: Zonal Attribute Function in Spatial Modeler

Dear Jens,

Below you can find an illustration of how you can add the MEAN statistical value of the raster image values within a new column in the attribute table.

ERDAS IMAGINE 2016 model.jpg

Also attaching the model.

Hope this will help.

Kind Regards,

Marina

Kind Regards,
Marina Vardovska
Hexagon Geospatial Support
Technical Evangelist

[ Edited ]

Excellent Model Marina.

This would be the equivalent using the new streaming features technology in ERDAS IMAGINE 2016:

Z_Mean.PNG

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial
Contributor

Hi Marina and Ian,

Marina thanks for the awesome response, I have implemented the suggested model and it has really helped! So thank you!

Ian, I am glad you added the workflow (ERDAS 2016), because I was having trouble with the background row being included into the attribute transfer, so the "Remove Background Row" is exactly what I needed. Thanks.

My 2 cents, if the zones exist in raster as an input, the process is 10x faster inputing the raster zones than shapefile zones, and then adding the zonal attribute to the raster and then converting the raster to shapefile.

Also, the zonal mean attribute's accuracy is higher when analysing zonal raster to class raster, than zonal shapefile to class raster (which is understandable since the shapefile has to be converted to a raster cell before the zonal statistic processing can take place). This is only the case if the zones are available as raster and shapefile.

Anyways thanks guys, you are flippin awesome.

Cheers

Jens 

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.