WebGIS Discussions

Need a push in the right direction when configuring WebMap, Portal or SDI services? Looking for hints and tips, or just looking for Ideas and information? The WebGIS discussion board is where you start those discussions, connect and share information.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Contributor

One access point to several geoportals

Hello,

We implemented several geoportals (Geospatial Portal) inside the customer's network.
All geoportals has the following names:
https://VM_name/Application_Name, where application name is smth like "ecology" or "roads", etc.

Our customer doesn't want to have different portals for a number of user groups.
He wants one application, where access to the content is controlled by Active Directory policies.

And the question - is it possible to:
1) Create nice geoportal application name, smth like: https://gis.CompanyName.com in an internal network? And
2) When a user starts an application, passes ActiveDirectory-authorisation (AD), Geospatial Portal displays only the services, that are granted to such user by AD settings?

E.g. user form ecology user group (AD) will see only ecology services, maps, and not the roads.

Do we need to implement SDI for these tasks or it is possible to achieve such things by some workarounds?

Thank you,

Kirill

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Re: One access point to several geoportals

Hi Kirll,

I am afraid that the behavior requested isn't possible to do with our software offerings. This should be rather controlled on higher level, such as IIS and URL redirection. I'm not sure if it's possible to accomplish that with relation to Active Directory.

However it could be possible to develop a custom ASP.NET Web Application that would redirect users depending on their AD information.

Jan Neumann
Post Sales Engineer Web Applications
Hexagon Geospatial

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

[ Edited ]
Highlighted
Visitor

[ Edited ]

Highlighted
Contributor

Jan hi,

We'll test the links you provided and come back asap.

Thank you so much indeed!

Kirill

Highlighted
Contributor

Jan hi,

And is it possible to create several GPW and assign each of them to a certain user group (defined in AD)?

Is it possible to do with Geospatial Portal API / SDK?

Or is there any known workaround?

I think this functionality would be highly demanded in all corporate projects anywhere.

Thanks,

Kirill

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Hi Kirill,

While it may be possible to work with Portal SDK and override some of the components to 'inject' a GPW to the Portal depending on the user authenticated, it doesn't sound like a simple task to me.

Although not so much integrated, it sounds much simpler to have something like a welcome page (with Windows Authentication), that will redirect the logged-in user to a GPW he has pre-assigned. The page can be empty and do just the authentication and redirection internally - the end users won't even notice that there's a wrapper.

Jan Neumann
Post Sales Engineer Web Applications
Hexagon Geospatial

Highlighted
Contributor

Hi Jan!

That's seams an easy and interesting point ,)

Going to discuss it with my team!

Hope to get back to you soon,

Cheers,

Kirill