WebGIS Discussions

Need a push in the right direction when configuring WebMap, Portal or SDI services? Looking for hints and tips, or just looking for Ideas and information? The WebGIS discussion board is where you start those discussions, connect and share information.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

Real Time Web-based Vehicle tracking with Geospatial portal as web client application

Hi,

This is rather a general question but i would like to know what options i have if i were to impelement a web-based vehicle tracking system using Geospatial Portal as my web client application, assuming the tracking server has an API that provides the longitude, latitude values and other vehicle information at specified time intervals... 

What options do i have for pulling the data from the API and displaying it using the Geospatial portal? What javascript frameworks can be intergrated with the Geospatial Portal to achieve real-time animation etc..?

Thanks

Elvon

Technical Evangelist

Re: Real Time Web-based Vehicle tracking with Geospatial portal as web client application

[ Edited ]

Hi Elvon,

This shouldn't be hard to accomplish with Portal SDK. You will need to:

• Call AJAX requests in certain interval to the vehicle tracking data provider - I suppose they provide something like REST API
  • After receiving response from their service use SDK functions such as:
    • $GP.map.draw.clear() - to clear previous drawings
    • either $GP.map.draw.point() - you can provide styling information for the point feature
    • or $GP.map.draw.pin() - to draw either pins that can come with some tooltips (see 05. Pin Layer - Fancy Tooltips example)

The animation speed will depend on the network bandwidth and service response time.

Regards,

Jan

Jan Neumann
Post Sales Engineer Web Applications
Hexagon Geospatial