WebGIS Discussions

Need a push in the right direction when configuring WebMap, Portal or SDI services? Looking for hints and tips, or just looking for Ideas and information? The WebGIS discussion board is where you start those discussions, connect and share information.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

User/Password authentication for WMS without GeoSpatial SDI

Hi,

is it possible to set user and password for a WMS Service with out GeoSpatial SDI?

I try to set for the WMS App in IIS windows-authentication but it does not work. For AdminConsole it is possible to define windows-authentication.

thank you

Florian

Staff

Re: User/Password authentication for WMS without GeoSpatial SDI

For WebGIS such a configuration is out of scope. Also, you won't get shiny features like layer restrictions or spatial restrictions without SDI Smiley Wink

However, it should be entirely possible to configure a WCF service (which WebMap's WMS is a kind of) to leverage any IIS mechanisms that are compatible with it. On my development box I was able to configure my go-to WMS instance to use IIS Windows Authentication without actually using Geospatial SDI's AuthenticationPipe. This wasn't as simple as flipping a switch, but after several refreshes and following the error messages it wasn't exactly rocket science either.

Just remember that having both Anonymous and Windows authentication methods in IIS will not suffice to restrict access and have the server return an HTTP error.

Occasional Contributor

do you have an example for me?

I step from error to error and I see no light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you

Staff

If I remember correctly, the following worked for me:
1. Disable anonymous authentication for the virtual folder of your WMS
2. Enable Windows authentication for the virtual folder of your WMS

3. Edit the web.config so that all bindings under system.serviceModel tag use TransportCredentialOnly security mode and transport clientCredentialType are set to Windows.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you!

It works!