Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

WebGIS Q&A

WebGIS enables powerful geospatial web applications and services that securely share your organization’s rich geospatial data, and provides tools to deeply examine spatial data and create value added products, on demand.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Warehouse connection renamed when publishing a service source in GeoMedia WebMap Publisher

by Moderator on ‎11-12-2016 11:46 AM - edited on ‎04-24-2017 01:28 AM by Technical Evangelist (963 Views)

Question

Why is the GeoMedia warehouse connection renamed when publishing to a GeoMedia WebMap Publisher service source?

Answer

GeoMedia WebMap uses the Connection name to track database connections to allow for caching.

Since GeoMedia assigns a default name for each warehouse connection (E.G. Access Connection 1) there is no need to change the name to be unique. The result being that two different GeoMedia workspaces regularly contain the same Warehouse connection name that pointed to different databases.

When muliple GeoMedia workspaces are published, the Webmap services would fail when trying to access data from a cached connection that has the same name but uses a different database.

To resolve this issue WebMap Publisher renames the Warehouse connection before publishing to the service source so each connection to the database is unique.

Comments
by
on ‎11-12-2016 12:50 PM

In my opinion there should be an application setting to turn this behaviour on/off. I understand the reason behind implementing this however as an Administrator of GeoMedia WebMap implementations I prefer to be responsible for Warehouse Connection names and ensuring they are unique. When I am reviewing an environment I can easily read a Warehouse Connection name and know exactly what data it is connecting to. With this change all connection names change to unique (unreadable) identifiers.

Having not yet upgraded to a version of the software with this change I believe there may be other draw backs which I haven't thought of yet.

Just my thoughts Smiley Happy

by
on ‎11-13-2016 03:27 PM

I agree with that. At a minimum the original connection name should be retained and padded out with the GUID - which would still keep each connection name unique but allow the admnistrators to easily recognise the connection name when working with multiple connections.

Contributors