Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

WebGIS

Need a push in the right direction when configuring WebMap, Portal or SDI services? Looking for hints and tips, or just looking for Ideas and information? The WebGIS discussion board is where you start those discussions, connect and share information.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Geospatial Portal Internet Explorer fails to load some WMS

Hello,

we are experiencing problems with the following portal only in Internet Explorer: http://maps.rhein-kreis-neuss.de/Geoportal/

Some WMS are loading, while others are not. There are many error messages saying "Request not allowed":

2018-11-05 11_38_15-Clipboard.png

and the services window shows this (fehlgeschlagen = failed) :

2018-11-05 12_03_39-Geoportal Rhein-Kreis Neuss - Internet Explorer.png

The log file on the server shows this:

screenshot_log.png

The developer tools console show this (19 times):

2018-11-05 11_42_04-.png

When I reload the WMS, it works:

2018-11-05 12_42_28-Geoportal Rhein-Kreis Neuss - Internet Explorer.png

In Firefox we are not experiencing any of the above problems.

We also have a Test Environment, with the same WMS running on the Test Server, which

• doesn´t show the "Request not allowed" error on the client
  • shows the error in the log file, but only sometimes
  • has the same errors in the console
  • but doesn´t fail to load the WMS (it is just quite slow)

The console also shows this (but I think this is unrelated):

2018-11-05 11_42_37-.png

Does anyone have similiar problems with IE? Any suggestions what we can do to make the portal run in IE as well?

I hope I gave enough information on this strange error.

It would be great to get some help here.

Best,

Anna

Highlighted

Re: Geospatial Portal Internet Explorer fails to load some WMS

Hello Anna,

IE has always been temperamental and we have always suggested using a different browser.

In doing a quick test of your Geospatial Portal, I am not getting any errors if NOT in development mode.

In development mode I do get the occasional error that you are seeing, this leads me to thinking is just another IE11 quirk.

What is the version of the Operating System and  IE 11 you are testing with?

What we have found is IE 11 can behave differently depending on the Operating System.

We currently recommend using Chrome, FireFox, and Edge over IE.

Simplifying your Portal to reduce the amount of WMS connections maybe an option to consider.

Thank You,

Marc

Occasional Contributor

Hey Marc,

thanks for your reply. I also favor other browsers over IE, but of course our customer wants the portal to be usable from IE as well since it goes to the public and you can´t control which browser they are using.

How do I turn off development mode? I´ve looked for it pressing F12, but I can´t find a place where to change to or from development mode. I´m not aware that I turned it on at any time.

We (and our customer) are using IE 11. I am using Windows 10, our customer is using Windows 7 and we´re both getting the same errors. Also sometimes the WMS look like they have been loaded in the legend but they don´t show 

By simplifying you mean having fewer WMS or simplifying the WMSes itself? Actually both will probably not be an option since our customer would rather publish even more WMS than reducing the amount of WMS.

I found that the DOM Explorer shows this in IE:

2018-11-07 10_51_07-.png

and

2018-11-07 11_08_49-.png

This does not show in Edge or Firefox which makes sense, but I´m a bit confused about the IE 9 since I´m working with IE 11. Could this be part of the problem? Or does it just mean that it is compatible with IE 9?

I´m quite lost how to solve this problem Smiley Sad

Thanks again!

Best,

Anna

Hello Anna.

I believe I wasn't specific enough trying to make my point, which is the issue could simply be that IE 11 is buggy and it is impacting the Portal.

I tested again yesterday 2:00 AM MST using your Geospatial Portal and did not see any issue's, nor the X-UA-Compatible Metadata tag,  

The only suggestions I can make is:

1. Increase the number of maps and decrease the WMS services, try to tune the map for the limitations or IE 11
  2. You may want to test different document modes by changing the X-UA-Compatible Metadata tag but with the latest release it should be Edge.
  3. Add code to the page detecting IE and stating it's limitations with IE. We have at least one other customer that I know of whom detects if the browser is IE and displays a splash screen that IE is NOT supported.
  4. Try to convince your customer IE is not worth it, IE was prevalent in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 which are out of main stream support, IE only has around 3 to 5% of the market share depending on where you look for the statistics E.G.(http://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share) and other browsers are readily available...
  5. Reach out to your Hexagon Geospatial partner for support. If you can create or provide a reproduceable configuration we may be able to get development to look into it… but considering IE being on the way out I don’t believe it would get much attention.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Marc

Technical Evangelist

Hi Anna,

The X-UA-Compatible meta tag is removed from later releases of Geospatial Portal where we introduced a new SVG rendering engine. It's certainly removed in 2018 release and I think it was done retrospectively to 2016 in some of the later EPs although I'm not 100% on that.

Regards,

Jan

Jan Neumann
Post Sales Engineer Web Applications
Hexagon Geospatial

Occasional Contributor

Hey Marc and Jan,

thanks again for your replies!

We found that we have an issue with our proxy server configuration so I hope my colleague who is responsible for the proxy server will be able to solve the issue.

I´m still confused about  the X-UA-Compatible meta tag but as long as it works with the new proxy settings I´m ok Smiley Happy

If the problem persists, I like the option to inform users about the IE limitations.

Thanks again for your support!

Best,

Anna

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.