Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

WebGIS

Need a push in the right direction when configuring WebMap, Portal or SDI services? Looking for hints and tips, or just looking for Ideas and information? The WebGIS discussion board is where you start those discussions, connect and share information.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Contributor

Highlighting selected feature

Hello guys,

Our customer wants to have an option to highlight features in a map:

1. when selected
  2. when resulted from a search request

They use WMS services. About 15 layers in a service.

Any ideas reg the possible solution?

Many thanks,

Kirill

Regular Contributor

Re: Highlighting selected feature

Assuming the WMS is coming from GeoMedia WebMap then as fas as I know, this isn't possible as GeoMedia WebMap's WMS does not expose the geometry of the underlying data so you obtain this for a particular record and use it for the highlight on the map.

There may be other ways of achieving this with WebMap through custom development on the WMS but I'm not familiar with how that would be done.

It is possible your customer has seen other WMS implementations that provide this geometry/highlight functionality (like GeoServer, ESRI and even Hexagon Safety & Infrastructures NetWorks WMS).

Staff

if wms is based on WebMap, you can select svg output format and works fine on portal. Then you have the higlight, but it may need the tooltip an actions. I think product center can do some change on final xsl transformation on svg when being provided by a WMS. this would be interesting request, I don't know if they apreciate business case on that, but I think it would be very important. This mean that with geospatial portal would take some extra benefit from using WMS done with webgis that others providers don't have.

Contributor

Hi Colin,

Yes, customer saw this functionality in different GIS web products. 

And it's real useful tool to see what you select, especially when there is a big density of the features under mouse coursor Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Kirill

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.