Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

WebGIS

Need a push in the right direction when configuring WebMap, Portal or SDI services? Looking for hints and tips, or just looking for Ideas and information? The WebGIS discussion board is where you start those discussions, connect and share information.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Poor Geospatial Portal Print Quality (External Print Service)

Hi all

I have followed the documentation and successfully created an external print service. PhantomJS and ImagMagik are used in the print service.

I loaded a WMPS service in Geopstial Portal, in which there are a couple of annotation feature classes and some other vector features (road names, lot number etc). 

When I PDF using the external print service, the quality of the PDF is very poor. Seems the whole PDF is pixelated and it's impossible to read the annotations. My initial thought was there must be opacity layer that is upsetting the printing but the WMPS doesn't contain any opacity layer at all. I also tried to increase the dpi number from default value 96 to 300, didnt help either.

Webmap EP04

Anyone has had similar issues?

Cheers

Yuan

Technical Evangelist

Re: Poor Geospatial Portal Print Quality (External Print Service)

[ Edited ]

The external printing service basically tries to draw map with all WMPS layers switched to PNG format. So my suggestion is to try to switch the affected layers to PNG before the print to see if you get similar results directly in Portal map.

However what you probably talking about are badly rendered labels and text features. This issue is fixed in EP05.

Jan Neumann
Post Sales Engineer Web Applications
Hexagon Geospatial

Frequent Contributor

Hi Jan

Thanks for your comment, i have tried both PNG and JPEG and they all turn out to be the same qulaity as the PDF.

I do have another machine that runs EP05, the rendering issue seem to resolved. However I am not sure if it's EP05 that has fixed the issue or something else..

Cheers

Yuan

Super Contributor

Prior to ver 15 EP05, for WMPS printing can modify the WMPS web.config file and change forcePNG32 from true to false

• C:\Program Files\Common Files\Hexagon\Services\Instances\{WMPSServiceName}\web.config
  • Change <add key="forcePNG32" value="true"/> to <add key="forcePNG32" value="false"/

Printing should then have text/symbols render nice(r).

Don't forget to switch <add key="forcePNG32" value="true"/> back to true when update to EP05 or later.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Further feedback received based on ver 15 EP04 (thanks Liz):

"Our quick test yesterday, showed that improved text rendering was achieved using <add key="forcePNG32" value="false"/> in the WMPS\web.config.  However, what I found this morning, was that it is also dependent on the dpi set.

With our current setting of 150dpi, I noticed that some of the vector detail was a bit pixelated, so I upped the dpi to 300.  Hey presto, the vectors were no longer pixelated but the text and symbols had shrunk to microscopic.

I went to the other extreme and tried 96 dpi – text and symbols much larger and readable, but the general map quality unacceptable – especially with our aerials.

A reasonable compromise seems to be 128dpi – text and symbols still just about large enough and readable and the aerials far less ragged."

Are others finding similar or have similar tricks to improve print quality while retaining text and symbol size for readability?

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.