Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

WebGIS

Need a push in the right direction when configuring WebMap, Portal or SDI services? Looking for hints and tips, or just looking for Ideas and information? The WebGIS discussion board is where you start those discussions, connect and share information.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor

Vector geometries not printed

Hello,
When I make map printing using an WMPS and WMS services, the printing only shows the image from the WMS and does not represent the WMPS vectors.
The same occurs when using a WMTS service instead of a WMS.Print_result.PNG

In this example I'm using normal printing, but the same happens when I use the print server with phamtomjs.

in other case if I print in EPSG: 3857 the printout is correct, but if the coordinate system changes (in this case EPSG: 3763) it only prints the image, and again no vectors.

Thanks 

Technical Evangelist

Re: Vector geometries not printed

Hi Rui,

Any errors in Portal log or in PhantomJS log (C:\Windows\Temp\portal-phantom-printer)?

I have been able to print WMPS data with other EPSG than 3857 but I haven't tried with 3763 as I don't have reasonable data. But I will look for some.

Regards,

Jan

Jan Neumann
Post Sales Engineer Web Applications
Hexagon Geospatial

Technical Evangelist

[ Edited ]

Ok, works fine for me with some public WMS and dummy WMPS data...

print.png

Just out of curiosity - have you tried different scale levels?

Jan Neumann
Hexagon Geospatial

Staff

Apologies for a slight off-topic, but for whatever reason, I find the printout in Jan's reply very aesthetically appealing Smiley Happy
Contributor

Hello Jan,
I tried printing with several scales and the problem stays the same.
I was changing the DPI on the web.config print server to do some tests and I checked that I could never print vectors with 300 DPI and sometimes did not print anything at all, at150 DPI +/- in every 5 prints, one was correct.
I send in the attached zip file the images and logs of the printings for analysis.
I used a custom tamplate and the default one in the print server installation.

Thanks

Technical Evangelist

Hi Rui,

The log doesn't contain anything suspicious. I've tried again with the external Print Service, 300 DPI, my custom teplate and still the WMPS printed out fine. Some more hints:

• Do you have PhantomJS installed? If so, it could provide some logging information too. When available, it is used internally by Printing Service.
  • Check also Portal log - the snapshot page opened during print contains a copy of the current Portal map and loads the maps using Portal engine. Thus there will be some logging information related to the snapshot page and perhaps also some errors...
  • You can enable detailed logging of the WebMap engine (AdminConsole > System Settings > Logging). Then during the print, you might check the GWMLog files for any errors.
  • Lastly, you can also enable detailed logging on the WMPS service (in web.config).

Regards,

Jan

Jan Neumann
Hexagon Geospatial

Contributor

Hello jan,

The print service is configured with recommended specifications, with PhamtomJS as the print engine and GraphicsMagick for making PDFs.
The portal logs are also active but no errors are transcribed regarding the printout.

Attached is a ZIP file with all the logs, images, and settings used by the portal and its print server. We can see from the svc files that the map is generated correctly but then the png file with that information is not generated.

I should mention that the coordinate system used is the EPSG3857 with the nominal mapscale at 1.2K so we can print detail (also in the zip file).

Regards,

Rui

Technical Evangelist

Hi Rui,

Do you get the print if you switch the layers to PNG instead of SVG? I can print fine the SVG content but I've seen cases where SVG layer caused that no data from WMPS was printed. I can't say why at this moment since I could not reproduce that.

Regards,

Jan

Jan Neumann
Hexagon Geospatial

Contributor

Jan
You're right, when we change the source data from SVG to PNG, the map appears printed, even though the defined styles are not exactly the same.

The problem is that the information on the map is vector so we can query the data of each feature.

How can we then solve this question?

Best regards,

Rui

Technical Evangelist

What version of PhantomJS are you using? I'm running 2.1.1 (the latest one).

Also what version of Geospatial SW do you have installed. Do you have any unofficial hotfixes?

Thanks,

Jan

Jan Neumann
Hexagon Geospatial

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.