Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

WebGIS

Need a push in the right direction when configuring WebMap, Portal or SDI services? Looking for hints and tips, or just looking for Ideas and information? The WebGIS discussion board is where you start those discussions, connect and share information.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Super Contributor

WFS getfeature request shows exception 'File name is required'

[ Edited ]

Hi team,

Our client is using WebMap SDI 2016 EP03. Their WFS services suddenly throw exception below in get feature request, even though the get capabilities document request is working fine.

2018-05-01 16_20_31-ccowtspi01 - Remote Desktop Connection - __Remote.png

I check the service log files and the problem seems to happen at the service source, so it doesn't get picked up in the wfs service log file and GWMlog shows fine. However, I am not sure where to look in the service source

Appreciate all suggestions and ideas on the matter

Kind regards

Technical Evangelist

Re: WFS getfeature request shows exception 'File name is required'

Hi Bob,

I don't understand the sentence 'I check and it happen on in the service source and don't get picked up in the wfs service log file and GWMlog shows fine.' - what did you actually check on the service source?

The error on screenshot clearly says that CollectionDepot layer (feature class) doesn't exist. Can you see it in the capabilities document?

Jan

Jan Neumann
Post Sales Engineer Web Applications
Hexagon Geospatial

Super Contributor

Hi team,

Sorry for the confusion, I just updated my content. I do see the CollectionDepot layer in the capabilities document.

KInd regards

Super Contributor

Hi team,

Some update on the problem. The capbilities document does show the feature.

2018-05-03 10_08_01-https___opendatauat.ccc.govt.nz_Administrative_service.svc_get_request=GetCapabi.png

I repeat the get feature with other features and they returns the same error message "File name is required".

I also check the WFS service source by repopulating it in GeoMedia workspace and it shows no problem

2018-05-03 09_45_38-ccowtspi01 - Remote Desktop Connection - __Remote.png

I also use the workspace to publish into a fresh WFS source and I also observe the same error message.

It is noted that wfs log file and GWMLog file don't show any hint of the problem.

Kind regards,

Technical Evangelist

• Do you have DEBUG level enabled in the WFS log? Could you please attach the log generated after trying to retrieve the problematic layer?
  • Out of curiosity - what is the data source?

Jan Neumann
Hexagon Geospatial

Super Contributor

Hi Jan,

Thank you for checking on this issue. The service source has three database connections (SQL Server Read Only type)

connection.png

My test shows that the get feature request only throws exception if the feature belongs to GISAFM database, so I believe something wrong in the database. However, it is quite confusing because features in the database are showing just fine when I populate the workspace from the metadatabase.

The WFS log file shows some information about this problem

Error.png

To sum up, I believe that we narrow down the issue that one of the connections has problem, but we would like to how it causes it.

Appreciate all suggestions, 

Technical Evangelist

The "File name is required" might indicate a problem in the ExportToGMLService used inside a WFS. I can't tell why this would happen but you can try to hook up ProcMon and watch MapSvr.exe process during the GetFeature request. There could be an indication of what had happened to WebMap not being able to set a temporary file name for WFS.

Jan Neumann
Hexagon Geospatial

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Jan,

Thank you for the suggestion. I am using ProcMon to monitor MapSvr.exe during the GetFeature request but haven't found any suspicious entries, also have a closer look around ExportToGMLService but still nothing stands out. Will look closer.

Kind regards   

hbm
Staff

Hi, Bob!

Can you get a detailed GWMLog from such an occurence as well? This way we can better track the place in WebMap's logic when it failed. This might put some light to the problem.

Super Contributor

HI hbm and Jan,

Thank you for looking into this issue. Here is the GWMLog when I do getFeature request.

Kind regards,

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.