Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

WebGIS

Need a push in the right direction when configuring WebMap, Portal or SDI services? Looking for hints and tips, or just looking for Ideas and information? The WebGIS discussion board is where you start those discussions, connect and share information.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Staff

visualisation of a dot-patterned area in WebMap

[ Edited ]

Hi,

In WebMap 2016, the symbolisation of patterned areas (e.g., dot patterned) leads to performance being severely impaired.

We are working with an Access-Database and we have chosen a dot-patterned style in GeoMedia, to visualize areas.

The map should be visualized in SVG-mode.

Does anyone have an idea, how the performance of WebMap can be impoved?

We can also imagine, that the slow performance could depend on the browser. We use Google Chrome.

Are there any ideas, how the performance of the browser when visualizing a map in SVG-mode with patterned styles can be impoved?

Thank you for your answers.

Seraina

Staff

Re: visualisation of a dot-patterned area in WebMap

Hi Seraina,

Do you know the specific support ticket number for your WebMap 2016 SVG map performance issue ?

Have you tried WebMap 2018 Update 1 to see if that makes any difference ?

The browser plays a large part of the performance equation since SVG are natively rendered by the browser.  Do you see any difference between Firefox, Chrome and IE ? 

Also, take a look at the size of the SVG file in the WebMap Cache folder, for uncompressed svg, it should not be larger than 1 Mb or it will take more time for the browser to render...

Thanks

Frank

Staff

Hi Frank,

I have not yet created a support ticket for this issue. Should I create a ticket?

Updating to WebMap 2018 Update 1 is not an option for us in this case, as we are testing this for a customer who just updated to WebMap 2016 recently.

The performance in Firefox is faster than in Chrome. IE is slower than Chrome and Firefox.

It is remarkable, that with Chrome, the dots load per tile and you can watch how the image is loading tile per tile. In Firefox and IE, the Loading of the dots just take a long time, but it suddenly shows all dots in the correct size.

The size of the SVG file is around 300 KB (depending on the zoom level) in the GWMChache folder.

Thank you for your answers.

Seraina

Staff

[ Edited ]

Hi Seraina,

I was trying to find out whether you were refering to a previous support ticket or not.

You could log a new ticket and we could see if there is any performance difference between WebMap 2016 and 2018.  For the new ticket, simply prepare a GeoMedia workspace connecting to a small Access warehouse dataset, setup the legend style (i.e. dot pattern area) for the feature class so the gws is ready to be published to a WebMap Publisher Data Source.  (Assuming  this is how you create the WebMap/Portal svg map)

Thanks

Frank

Staff

Hi Frank,

I created a support ticket (00038780) and attached the access-database, the geoworkspace and the library, where the dot-patterned style is saved.

Seraina

Polls
Please register to vote
Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.